Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Full Moon Phase fishing (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32019)

kenb 10-06-2017 01:31 AM

Full Moon Phase fishing

Last week was talking with a guy who mainly fishes out off Bolsa Chica and he told me it took him a long time, but he finally figured out the two days before and after a full moon are terrible days to kayak fish in the morning because the moon is usually bright enough for the fish to feed at night. Those 5 days a month he scratches off of his fishing calendar.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?...

goldenglory18 10-06-2017 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenb (Post 286821)
Last week was talking with a guy who mainly fishes out off Bolsa Chica and he told me it took him a long time, but he finally figured out the two days before and after a full moon are terrible days to kayak fish in the morning because the moon is usually bright enough for the fish to feed at night. Those 5 days a month he scratches off of his fishing calendar.

Totally agree.

We would fish bass tournaments at night during a full moon cycle. Awesome bites on those nights and absolutely terrible the next day....

CrazzyGar 10-06-2017 07:07 AM

I've done this for years...!!! I was taught 4 days prior and up to 6 days after don't fish or hunt.

I use to book my Long Range trips a year in advance using this technique.

It's not only that fish can feed 24 hrs... But the Moon changes the magnetic pole which effects their feeding habits thru their lateral line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denis_Ruso 10-06-2017 09:22 AM

On the day of the full moon, I would have to agree with you. But the days surrounding, I'd say you are missing some of the best bites.

makobob 10-06-2017 09:28 AM

I like to plan my trips to Baja around the full moon. Most of the largest fish of the year are caught around the days before and after the full moon. Maybe because I like to fish early am and the magic hour in the evenings. Tight Lines amigos.

dos ballenas 10-06-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenb (Post 286821)

Inshore fishing is usually best when the current is ripping.

Inshore currents are often related to tide swings.

The larger the tide swing the more current.

When do the largest tide swings of the months occur?

Answer around the xxxx moon and xxx moon.

So what does this mean?

Denis_Ruso 10-06-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos ballenas (Post 286842)
Inshore fishing is usually best when the current is ripping.

Inshore currents are often related to tide swings.

The larger the tide swing the more current.

When do the largest tide swings of the months occur?

Answer around the xxxx moon and xxx moon.

So what does this mean?

Didn't want to spell it out for anyone but this is exactly what I was eluding to. Currents generally stronger around the full and new moon. Current is very important for the bite.

I feel like the current is generally too strong on the day of the full moon. But the dates around it is another story. :reel: