Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Squid as Lobster Bait in Hoop Net? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32080)

CardShark 10-17-2017 02:06 PM

Squid as Lobster Bait in Hoop Net?

Have any of you had success using squid as bait in your hoop nets?

I'm going hooping tonight and I don't think I have enough mackerel to last the night if I'm not able to catch it while on the water. I have a bunch of squid left over from a recent fishing trip so was wondering if I could use that.

I know a potential problem is the lobster just pulling the entire squid out and taking off but I'm using Drake Pucks so I think they will be fairly secure in there.

Vikingj 10-18-2017 07:00 AM

Last year I also ran out of macs and filled in w squid. It did OK but the macs did a little better. Bugs may have their favorites but seem to eat just about anything. I've seen bugs caught on chicken necks, chicken gizzards, and dog/cat food. I'll collect discounted canned tuna and take some w me as backup when the regular bait is gone. Happy Hooping!
W

TJones 10-18-2017 08:03 AM

pick up only

I have some bait. multiple fresh frozen rock fish. post response if interested and I will get back to you. I will keep my IM open . :lobster: . if used in the proper bait tubes , it is enough to get you going.

TJones 10-18-2017 08:08 AM

forgot to mention

im in burbank. hopefully you are passing this way. I will be here all day. feel free to call me .I will send pm with contact.

NICKWORN 10-18-2017 11:13 AM

salmon heads

go to any local Asian market and grab you some. Best lobster bait when out of fresh macks. Just grabbed some for $2.99lb. one head split was $4 and some change.

Tman 10-18-2017 05:18 PM

Save the squid for bottom fishing or surf fishing...lobsters will have nothing to do with squid, think what the squid likes to eat.

Take advice of others, macs, salmon heads, sardines...

CardShark 10-18-2017 08:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys.

Went to Channel Islands Harbor break wall last night with a buddy.

We had 3 nets each and hooped from sunset to about 10:30pm, pulling nets every 30 mins or so.

We got 8 shorts a piece for 16 total. 3 were close enough that we measured them but all the others were tiny.

I put only squid in one of my nets and that did account for 2 of the shorts out of my 8 so it does work.
Squid is more expensive than other bait though so not cost effective if you're going to buy it.

Thanks for the offer TJones but I'm in Camarillo.
I would have tried it if you were closer.
Have you had success using rockfish as lobster bait?
I would think it wouldn't be that effective since it's not oily and doesn't have a strong scent.

DanaPT 10-19-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardShark (Post 287232)
Thanks for all the replies and advice guys.

Went to Channel Islands Harbor break wall last night with a buddy.

We had 3 nets each and hooped from sunset to about 10:30pm, pulling nets every 30 mins or so.

We got 8 shorts a piece for 16 total. 3 were close enough that we measured them but all the others were tiny.

I put only squid in one of my nets and that did account for 2 of the shorts out of my 8 so it does work.
Squid is more expensive than other bait though so not cost effective if you're going to buy it.

Thanks for the offer TJones but I'm in Camarillo.
I would have tried it if you were closer.
Have you had success using rockfish as lobster bait?
I would think it wouldn't be that effective since it's not oily and doesn't have a strong scent.

If you go out take a rod and at least one hook.. fish for Macs in between pulls.

CardShark 10-19-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 287235)
If you go out take a rod and at least one hook.. fish for Macs in between pulls.

We did. Fished with squid for Macs but only managed 1 the entire night. There were tons of fairly large smelt in the water though.

Mahigeer 10-25-2017 11:24 AM

Once at the Catalina Mole for lobster hunt, there was so much squid, that you could walk on water!

We only caught 2 short lobsters. They just stayed home and waited for the squid to die and fall on their lap.

No need to crawl.

I would not use them if I can help it, but as last resort--why not.

goldenglory18 10-25-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardShark (Post 287258)
We did. Fished with squid for Macs but only managed 1 the entire night. There were tons of fairly large smelt in the water though.

Throw small shiny baits. I've been catching my flyline macks with these....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...-JKgtH7vvusiPg

http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/water...K-1.jpg&nw=302

Not as efficient as a sabiki, but its a ton of fun on light tackle......