Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Advice - San Diego Bay Fishing for Kids (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=36601)

jlabs63 09-20-2021 10:20 AM

Advice - San Diego Bay Fishing for Kids

Hey guys, i have 3 daughters (5-9) that i need to get into fishing. I have access to a boat out of Harbor Island and looking for some general advice regarding locations, bait and tackle. It would be great to get them hooked up with some bass (just something other than greenbacks).

I have some spinning rods with Carolina rigs and some small Hookup Baits on 10 lb flouro.
- Hook size
- Bait (ghost shrimp, shrimp? No squid, right?)

To be clear, i am not looking for numbers to anybody's honeyhole. Ive never fished SD Bay, so just some general (or detailed, if you want) advice on where to go.

Mahigeer 09-20-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlabs63 (Post 315581)
Hey guys, i have 3 daughters (5-9) that i need to get into fishing. I have access to a boat out of Harbor Island and looking for some general advice regarding locations, bait and tackle. It would be great to get them hooked up with some bass (just something other than greenbacks).

I have some spinning rods with Carolina rigs and some small Hookup Baits on 10 lb flouro.
- Hook size
- Bait (ghost shrimp, shrimp? No squid, right?)

To be clear, i am not looking for numbers to anybody's honeyhole. Ive never fished SD Bay, so just some general (or detailed, if you want) advice on where to go.

Shelter island is a good place for newbies and kids.

A dropper loop rig with one or two hooks is better for kids.

Ghost shrimp is a great bait. Fillet mackerel for more mackerel is great.

#8 baitholder hooks are a good size for pier.

There are other piers in San Diego too. Check pierfishing.com website.

PapaDave 09-21-2021 09:09 AM

I usually drift with the tide using plastics and weedless jig heads along the bottom. Drift down the rows of boats in any of the harbors, the main channel gets a little rough with the boat traffic on busy days.

jruiz 09-21-2021 11:41 AM

When i was growing up, I was perfectly happy to catch macs. Cut those sabikis in half and put one on each rod. 1 hour drifting for nothing and you'll quickly have a boat full of kids that have had enough and want to go home and would likely not want to go out again.

Mahigeer 09-22-2021 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 315594)
When i was growing up, I was perfectly happy to catch macs. Cut those sabikis in half and put one on each rod. 1 hour drifting for nothing and you'll quickly have a boat full of kids that have had enough and want to go home and would likely not want to go out again.

Plus one.

jlabs63 09-23-2021 08:29 AM

Thank you fellas. Greenbacks would be just fine, but wouldnt mind introducing them to some other species. I found this article, which is pretty helpful:

https://sdfish.com/forums/t/fishing-...go-bay.163428/

My plan is to get plenty of shrimp / squid (enough for chum) and ghost shrimp if I can find them. Tie on a few sabiki rigs tipped with bait for the kids while is fish plastics / hookup baits for bass.

Probably hit around Shelter and Harbor Islands; maybe the bait barge.

Mahigeer 09-26-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlabs63 (Post 315610)
Tie on a few sabiki rigs tipped with bait for the kids while is fish plastics / hookup baits for bass.

IMHO, using bait on Sabiki during day lights is unnecessary. It does not harm, but not needed. It would be cheaper to tie a bunch of hooks and then put bait on them.
The cost of Sabiki rigs is for the feathers, beads, etc. It is so the hook looks like a shrimp or kirll.

At night bait as scent is ok on Sabiki, then again, why not tie bare hook with bait.