Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Swell Next Weekend (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=1970)

yellowtail55 05-14-2007 01:36 PM

Swell Next Weekend

The swell is predicted to increase next weekend.
http://www.wetsand.com/swellwatch/sw...5&SubCatID=295

I had previously planned on launching next Saturday. Is the swell going to be too big? What size swell do you consider to be the minimum for a semi-safe launch? Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.

tylerdurden 05-14-2007 01:46 PM

This pretty much only applies to avenida de la playa...
I have never seen LJ shores unlaunchable. Some days are just more dry than others. Sometimes waves can be breaking past the end of the pier, while the launch is ankle slappers, while others times the launch can have 4' sets just like the pier. Just go for it, you never know until you show up.

yellowtail55 05-14-2007 01:54 PM

I don't mind getting wet...it's my expensive rods/reels that I'm worried about. I guess I'll strap them to the sides and leash them to help prevent damage.

lamb 05-14-2007 02:09 PM

I wouldn’t take that forecast to hearth. I find majority of surfing oriented weather sites to be scary to look at. Think about it – they always hope for more surf. :) Quite the opposite from us.

Wet sand was forecasting 6-8 ft last few days, and we had 1 and 2 fters at the launch.

That is a piece of cake at LJ. Sometimes it can be tricky in the dark, as you don’t really see what you’re paddling into. But even if you pick a bigger set, you can plow through it. You will get wet… Definitely make sure your rods are tied and your gear is secured, so nothing gets washed away from the deck as you cut through them.

The swell forecast looks on a bigger side for Friday, but we’ll know better the closer we get.

Around noon, I stopped by the launch on my way back from Sorrento Valley. It was flat, 1 ft-ers or less.
I saw a kayak diver with a pretty story. :cheers1:

dmr 05-14-2007 02:14 PM

The predictions as of now are for a relatively short period NW swell. It could be on the fun side. Maybe the event organizers could take some video and stills and sell them like they do at amusement park rollercoasters.

lamb 05-14-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmr (Post 13379)
The predictions as of now are for a relatively short period NW swell. It could be on the fun side. Maybe the event organizers could take some video and stills and sell them like they do at amusement park rollercoasters.

lol

Thanks Derek for making the potential tourney crowd feel all warm and fuzzy about signing up. :D

Hello WCW Kick Off organizing committee - is there going to be a cut off? Suppose if the swell happens to be 8 ft at the Pier on Saturday, can we please have the tourney postponed for Sunday, or whenever it lays down?

WCW can still start on 5/19, so Brad, Tyler and other Brave-Hearts can fish on that 8 ft Saturday. :D I ain't.

Jimm H 05-14-2007 02:30 PM

What direction swell?

At La Jolla, the incoming direction of the swell is as much or more of a factor than the size. as noted, big swell doesn't equate to big surf a t the launch unless the angle is straight in.

And, I have seen unlaunchable surf at La Jolla, with 6 ft. breakers 100 yards out. Usually only see that during the winter, though. That's always a good morning to head to breakfast.

madscientist 05-14-2007 02:55 PM

Is this West Coast Whoppers or West Coast Wimps?:D

Don't fret guys, forecast doesn't look bad at all. Surf forecasts are irrelevant at LJ except as JimmH pointed out. NW swell is the only time to worry and even then, I don't think I've seen unlaunchable, though I have seen unlandable (at least upright) at LJ.

I'd say the only reason to cancel would be sustained wind over 15, unless its out of the east. Or thunderstorms.

FISHIONADO 05-14-2007 03:07 PM

I saw a guy paddle out through 5' surf three months after his open heart surgery and didn't even get wet. Grow a pair. lol Totally kidding, it's one of those confidence things, if you think you can make it you probably will, if you don't think you can make it, go to breakfast with JimmH. If you are not sure than leave the tackle in the truck and go play in the waves to find your own limits. Keep it straight and keep paddling, if the footwells flood with water and it gets really heavy no problem, it's a little slower but actually much more stable, just keep it pointed straight and keep moving. No time for hesitation, paddle constantly. Good luck with it and I hope you catch a big one in the tourny.

I'm visiting China for business, didn't work out this time but my counterpart over here said he could hook me up with some type of kayak/canoe and some tackle next time. The pearl river delta and inshore near Hong Kong looks as fishy as LJ.

nmbrinkman 05-14-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISHIONADO (Post 13385)
if the footwells flood with water and it gets really heavy no problem, it's a little slower but actually much more stable, just keep it pointed straight and keep moving.

I think about that when guys talk about scupper plugs. I really have no understanding to why some use them. They allow me to take a piss without exposing myself to everyone and also drain the breaker over my bow when launching.

ski 05-14-2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmbrinkman (Post 13388)
I think about that when guys talk about scupper plugs. I really have no understanding to why some use them. They allow me to take a piss without exposing myself to everyone and also drain the breaker over my bow when launching.

I agree 100%. IMO, those things are a waste of money, unless you are commanding a boat that gives you swamp ass:)

Will B. 05-14-2007 09:47 PM

If the surf is up lets all drive over to Mission Bay and have the tournament there.:wavey:

esdees 05-15-2007 11:28 AM

I believe scupper plugs are meant to be used in calm water. They're supposed to help you go a little faster.

yellowtail55 05-15-2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISHIONADO (Post 13385)
I saw a guy paddle out through 5' surf three months after his open heart surgery and didn't even get wet. Grow a pair. lol Totally kidding, it's one of those confidence things, if you think you can make it you probably will, .

I've been flipped by waves a few times at aliso beach in laguna...both times I thought i was going to make it...lol

Our kayak is a double peddler, which means we can't put in the drives until around 1 1/2' of water...since it's usally not convenient, we paddle through the surf, which isn't very fast since our kayak is a tank...

Tman 05-15-2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will B. (Post 13405)
If the surf is up lets all drive over to Mission Bay and have the tournament there.:wavey:

Tell me I didn't just read that....:banghead:

madscientist 05-15-2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will B. (Post 13405)

Good idea Will. lol Then we could all go to the "Manhole" for drinks afterward. :p
Maybe you should create a new award category for OBOG King.:D

OBOG="Out of the Bay, Out of the Gay"

lamb 05-15-2007 01:26 PM

Will can say whatever he wants to say - he IS Bay To Bay king.

I guess Brad can say whatever he pleases too - he is WCW King. :rolleyes:

For the rest of us low life creatures - the forecast for the Scripps Pier doesn’t look that bad for this weekend at all.

And it looks like the “weatherpeople” keep lowering their forecast for the swell size.

This is the forecast for the Scripps Pier:

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub=forecast&units=metric&tz=UTC&pub=p ublic&xitem=sio_waves

The waves usually end up being smaller than forecasted… At the Avenida De La Playa launch, the waves are always at least a foot or more smaller then at the Pier. It seems to me it is highly unlikely that we will have some horribly challenging surf conditions on Saturday, the day of the Kick Off Tournament.

Sure thing – everyone should launch only in conditions they feel comfortable with. That is highly personal judgment. Safety first.

dorado50 05-15-2007 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madscientist (Post 13430)
Good idea Will. lol Then we could all go to the "Manhole" for drinks afterward. :p
Maybe you should create a new award category for OBOG King.:D

OBOG="Out of the Bay, Out of the Gay"

The best lol I've had all day

cabojohn 05-16-2007 08:36 AM

lol
:notworthy:

Handymansd 05-16-2007 10:55 AM

lol:luxhello: