Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LMB and Striper of Dockweiler (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12229)

JOSER85 12-27-2011 03:10 PM

LMB and Striper of Dockweiler

So 2 Saturdays ago me and my cousin went fishing to local pond to fish for some LMB. We were doing pretty good both had 2 fish (all released) and ranging about 2-3lbs. We were getting ready to leave since we had to get ready for a surf Tournament Ace Fishing Tackle in Gardena was hosting.
When he hooked onto this baby girl. Came in @ 7.5
http://i40.tinypic.com/29zsrp5.jpg

the next morning we go out to the tournament. fishing was pretty slow since there was a full moon. Very few barred perch and 1 or 2 corvina were caught that morning. Believe there was a total of 17total fishing the tournament.
With less then hour to go. I see my cousin set the hook and hear his drag screaming. seeing where only using 7lb test I think its a good size corvina.
As the fish got closer I see about 4 inches of tail come out the water, and automatically I noticed it was a striper. Being that there was 5 foot waves crashing in the surf it made it really hard to pull a fish that size in. So I started to walk towards the fish holding pressure on the line as the waves crashed in. All of a sudden a wave crashes in and I see the hook get pulled out the fish mouth and the striper started swimming to deeper water. Luckily a 2nd waves crashed almost instantly pushing the striper closer to the surf and close enough to me to were I jumped on top of it and gave it a big bear hug and ran with it to dry land. He ended up winning the tournament with that fish and took $120 home. Best part of this story is he caught it with a 2'' berkley sand worm Carolina rigged. lucky SOB
(never mind his jacket he's just trying to represent. LOL)
Came in at 27inches
http://i40.tinypic.com/ra9jci.jpg

Iceman 12-27-2011 04:29 PM

Both very nice fish and crazy save on the striper :luxhello: .........tell me he kicked something your way :D

mtnbykr2 12-27-2011 04:32 PM

THE GOLDEN TICKET!!!
Man that is a lucky catch, I have only been surf fishin for about a year,
I have caught them off the beach back east no problem but out on this side of the pond they aren't very easily found, congrats on the win and the wall hanger:reel:

yakrider 12-27-2011 04:57 PM

wow!
both fish are cool...
way to body slam that fish!

JOSER85 12-28-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 103515)
Both very nice fish and crazy save on the striper :luxhello: .........tell me he kicked something your way :D

I made him! or his fish was going back in the water:D

Bennyblanco 12-28-2011 08:32 AM

Nice catch,:luxhello:BBQ time:luxhello:

Matt 12-28-2011 09:59 AM

Awesome save!! Viva Mexico!

Luis_Ochoa 12-28-2011 05:17 PM

nice catch Jose :cheers1:

Amish Ed 12-28-2011 09:39 PM

Very nice fishes. Good save too.

Fiskadoro 12-30-2011 11:57 PM

Pretty cool. Seems like every year there are a few more stripers taken local in the bay. I just wish there were enough around to actively target them.

Jim

lamb 12-31-2011 05:56 PM

Very cool!!! :cheers1:

steveooo 01-01-2012 02:52 PM

The striper is pretty bad ass!

cappo 01-03-2012 12:40 PM

Nice job. I was talking to you at the park when I was walking my dog. Good to see some toads in there.

jimbo 01-03-2012 02:54 PM

hmm?

nice fish, but isn't that a dq for a tourney?

JOSER85 01-04-2012 09:30 AM

In a sponsored Tourney YES, but for a local tackle shop no.
Glad other guys never fished a sponsored tourney like I have or else :linesnap:

vito 01-04-2012 12:53 PM

orale joser way to go!!

MotoHero 01-05-2012 08:26 PM

Give the title back, or suffer shutouts for life!

The gods will not look upon you graciously if you claim first prize after getting outside assistance and improperly taking the fish. The fish won, the hook pulled, and that is how it should be remembered.

I would apologize for even thinking of claiming 1st prize.

Do the right thing or you will be "Mr. Shutout" for the rest of your fishing life.

Dwayne

Aaron&Julie 01-05-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOSER85 (Post 104193)
In a sponsored Tourney YES, but for a local tackle shop no.
Glad other guys never fished a sponsored tourney like I have or else :linesnap:

I'm afraid Dwayne, if the local tackel shop has no problem with it, why should you? Did you come in 2nd?
Jose(?) explains it all, without hiding any thing. If the tackle shop wants to pull their award, I'm guessing they'll probably not have a problem with it.
It wasn't the most bonafide catch, but it sure was one hell of a story.
I'm with Jim, more Stripers caught in recent years, and would love for it to continue. Makes me wonder if they can't full scale introduce them, get them really pumped up like the WSBs have done lately. I'd pay an extra dollar or two on my license, if funding is a problem, to try a re-introduction program like that down here.

Congratulations to you guys. Good stories.
Aaron

P.S. Even though you don't have many posts (50+) on this website, I don't think you have to be worried about "shutouts" from a guy who only has 5 posts on this one :)

JOSER85 01-06-2012 08:51 AM

They guy from ACe tackle that was hosting the tourney. Was present and watched the whole thing. If he had no problem with the way the fish was brought to shore then he would have brought it to our attention.
I too wouldn't mind putting extra $ for a fishing license to have more Stripers into the SOcal areas.:luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

I'm not worried at all :cool:

mtnbykr2 01-06-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOSER85 (Post 104392)
They guy from ACe tackle that was hosting the tourney. Was present and watched the whole thing. If he had no problem with the way the fish was brought to shore then he would have brought it to our attention.
I too wouldn't mind putting extra $ for a fishing license to have more Stripers into the SOcal areas.:luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

I'm not worried at all :cool:

Again congrats on the trophey bass, both of them, however in this climate we are currently in with, "califorthem" and the dfg, I highly doubt, when a
price hike to the licenses that we are buying, to have less area to fish and more restrictions on them, do you honestly think they would do the "right thing" with the extra money? I mean they have already stopped stocking many local lakes and streams...which is what we pay for...just a thought