Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Asuncion Thanksgiving (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27678)

rossman 11-21-2015 05:12 PM

Asuncion Thanksgiving

Well the first pair of the Thanksgiving contingency show up this evening well before I expected them. Deamon and Romspacenut rolled into town around 4:30 . I had gone down to a local restaurant for a couple beers and a quick bite to eat thinking they would arrive after dark. Rolled back to my place at 5 to find them enjoying the view at mi casa. Unloaded, and set camp, enjoyed a fabulous sunset and we are set to hit the water in the morning.

momo fish 11-21-2015 07:57 PM

Watch out for that guy.. He likes to fish at all strange hours of the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svendawg 11-22-2015 06:33 PM

How about a report from today so I have something to anticipate on the long drive down

rossman 11-23-2015 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svendawg (Post 247928)
How about a report from today so I have something to anticipate on the long drive down

Sorry Sven , didn't get the report done in time. You have probable begun your journey., or maybe this might get to you in time.
Today was one of those perfect days for fishing here in Asuncion. There was very little wind all morning and that changed to virtually no wind for the rest of the day. Jim was an animal and stayed out from dawn til dusk while Robert and I were on shore by 1 He was rewarded late in the day with a beautiful 16 pound Leopard grouper. The first one I have seen here. I was a bit disappointed with the fishing while the others were quite happy with the results. We managed 4 yellows, one being nice 25 pound specimen the rest rats. There were a few Sierra caught, a couple skipjack , and of course boatloads of the ubiquitous bass. We fish Isla Asuncion yesterday and will head for San Roque today.

rossman 11-25-2015 03:02 AM

Monday, Jim Robert and I launched at San Roque and paddled to the island. Fairly slow day at San Roque. Total of 4 yellows caught where I have caught 90 percemt of my yellows since i got here. Another flat calm day with temps in the 80s.
The Makobob bus rolled in at about 4:30 PM with Bob Sven and Jeff aboard. Richard and Kevin arrived about midnight after a day of fishing at Punta Baja on the way down.
Sven Richard Kevin and I launched locally on Tuesday and paddled about 3 miles to a high spot south of Isla Asuncion. Quite a bit of action out there today with a total of 32 yellows caught. Still no trophies but plenty of action. Sven was high MA with 21 yellows, most with a home made lure made from the handle of a butter knife which will be declared illegal in Mexico if I have any to say about it. Highlight of the day was a humpback breaching about 30 yards from us. Lowlight of the day was Richard's hand and and a Yellowtail ''s mouth hooked on the same Rapala.
A wonderful meal of tri tip and bean soup prepared by Jim.

rossman 11-26-2015 02:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finding some quality yellows continues to be a problem here in Asuncion. Yesterday our fleet of 2 kayakers and 5 Hobies hit the spot where 4 of us landed in excess of 30 yellows the day before. The area was void of the right kind and pretty disappointing. We were treated to three more close by humpback breaches with one swimming within 20 yards of Kevins Hobie. While everyone headed back to the ramp, I decided to take a road less traveled and hit one more spot on the other side of the island. That spot was on fire and managed to land 7 YT and 2 skipjack in a little over an hour, including this nice 45 incher.Attachment 17542

momo fish 11-26-2015 06:41 AM

"fleet of 2 kayakers and 5 Hobies" haha! Still hating I see...

Post some more when you can, looks like better fishing than what we have up here right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossman (Post 248088)
Finding some quality yellows continues to be a problem here in Asuncion. Yesterday our fleet of 2 kayakers and 5 Hobies hit the spot where 4 of us landed in excess of 30 yellows the day before. The area was void of the right kind and pretty disappointing. We were treated to three more close by humpback breaches with one swimming within 20 yards of Kevins Hobie. While everyone headed back to the ramp, I decided to take a road less traveled and hit one more spot on the other side of the island. That spot was on fire and managed to land 7 YT and 2 skipjack in a little over an hour, including this nice 45 incher.Attachment 17542

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zed 11-26-2015 07:27 AM

Happy Thanksgiving.

MrPukaShell 11-26-2015 07:36 AM

Looking forward to the pics of your Thanksgiving feast. Have a great day guys

rossman 11-28-2015 02:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Despite the predicted high winds and swell, Sven, Kevin, Richard and I hit the water early on Black Friday. Turned out to be a decent day with lots of action on Yellowtail, sierra and bass. I managed to catch a gorgeous 27 lb Leopard grouper. Sorry for the dirty camera lens. I had not caught a grouper here in Asuncion since I got here and this week we got two. Richard landed a nice 35 pound Yellowtail.

Attachment 17550

Zed 11-28-2015 07:14 AM

Gulf grouper. Nice one. I'm envious. Bet it ate well.

tattuna 11-28-2015 07:43 AM

Actually, that's a broomtail grouper. Nice one! Looks like an amazing fishery.

Zed 11-28-2015 07:55 AM

It could be. But I cant believe confusing a broom w a leopard. And w/o a tail shot we cant tell.
Slacker photogs.

Deamon 11-28-2015 12:28 PM

Well...I'm back.

2 Attachment(s)
Ross...MAN's house on the beach is...is...unbelievable.
Rossman is a very, very gracious host and a very good cook!
ROSSMAN kicked my ass in fishing for the yellow kind.
rossman might be holding his best spots to himself...:the_finger:

The Punta Asuncion area is an unbelievable fishery. As many 2-6# calico's as I wanted on that first day...mucho. Monster Sheeps biting the Megabait (not 20 pounders though:luxhello:). Nearby shark tooth fossil site...free abandoned puppies. Ross' porch view sunsets that were on fire...

Parts of this story may be fictitious. But if someone were interested in a 3 mos. old puppy with an incredible temperament and spirit, let me know.:sifone:

Jim

Zed 11-28-2015 12:51 PM

Classic.
I think its a keeper.

Murray 11-28-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deamon (Post 248199)
Ross...MAN's house on the beach is...is...unbelievable.
Rossman is a very, very gracious host and a very good cook!
ROSSMAN kicked my ass in fishing for the yellow kind.
rossman might be holding his best spots to himself...:the_finger:

The Punta Asuncion area is an unbelievable fishery. As many 2-6# calico's as I wanted on that first day...mucho. Monster Sheeps biting the Megabait (not 20 pounders though:luxhello:). Nearby shark tooth fossil site...free abandoned puppies. Ross' porch view sunsets that were on fire...

Parts of this story may be fictitious. But if someone were interested in a 3 mos. old puppy with an incredible temperament and spirit, let me know.:sifone:

Jim

Well, guess I can not go to Asuncion. Would probably bring home a car load of dogs. Ha! Nice going sir. I am sure your pooch thinks you are quite a hero. Very cool bro!

Mr. NiceGuy 11-29-2015 02:41 PM

Can someone post pictures of the fossilized sharks teeth you are finding?
Were they Megalodon's that were present in that area?

(that would have been exciting to see from a kayak)

rossman 11-30-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zed (Post 248186)
It could be. But I cant believe confusing a broom w a leopard. And w/o a tail shot we cant tell.
Slacker photogs.

From the for what it's worth department, got an expat here with a masters in marine biology and he says definitely a broom tail without seeing the tail. Don't know how.

tattuna 11-30-2015 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossman (Post 248329)
From the for what it's worth department, got an expat here with a masters in marine biology and he says definitely a broom tail without seeing the tail. Don't know how.

You can tell from the pattern on the body.

Broomtail

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...pspto95iil.jpg

Gulf

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...pspxrp3rmx.jpg

Leopard

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...psj9n3fzq0.jpg

Pinto Bass or "True Cabrilla" depending on who you ask

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...psxvieczwb.jpg

rossman 12-01-2015 02:04 AM

Once again Charles has stumbled on to the truth.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk