Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1st time at San O Sunday (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=23331)

YakHanded 09-15-2014 03:00 PM

1st time at San O Sunday

4 Attachment(s)
...and caught myself a yellow - my roommate and I got in line at the gate and made it through right after they opened it up at 6am. Super stoked to see the sewer guys (Tony & George) unloading, we have regularly checked this site for a while and recognized those two straight away from a good distance hahah

They directed us to the denser kelp which is a little south of the reactors and we made some bait, then were off! Trolled flylined greenbacks straight out from there to about 75~80ft looking to get away from the gnarly kelp and find some floating patties/get lucky.

About 9-930am the clicker screams and im on! Took a while, or seemed like it at least then I gaffed its brains out and bled the beast. Super pumped on this Yellow, my 2nd from the kayak, and second in the last month....this one was 43inches to the fork but still dont have a scale. Feeling pretty lucky that my first two yellows seem to be pretty good ones! Great day on the water, landed at the beach around 1230pm. Epic to briefly meet the BWE legends and get a nice fish! Home to some fresh ceviche and a few beers.

Tony & George, hope you guys had an epic day too! Nice meeting you guys and thanks again for helping us punk rookies out!!

GregAndrew 09-15-2014 03:33 PM

Nice, I heard you guys hooting and hollering as I made my way out away from the kelp. Nice fish!

bmercury 09-15-2014 03:40 PM

how was the launch and landing? I have never launched there, but any time I surf fish there the shorepound is impressive. And did you see the taxman?

Silbaugh4liberty 09-15-2014 03:44 PM

Nice report! Where does everyone launch from in San o? Never been there, but contemplating it since it's about 30 minutes less of a drive than la jolla.

Silbaugh4liberty 09-15-2014 03:46 PM

Is there less sea lions too?

bmercury 09-15-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 206291)
Nice report! Where does everyone launch from in San o? Never been there, but contemplating it since it's about 30 minutes less of a drive than la jolla.

the only legal area to launch is on the very south end of old mans AFAIK.

YakHanded 09-15-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 206288)
Nice, I heard you guys hooting and hollering as I made my way out away from the kelp. Nice fish!

Thanks Greg! I thought that was you but wasnt sure! but man thank you for leading the way through the surf that was huge....that last one was a close call hahaha

Hope you had a great day out there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 206292)
Is there less sea lions too?

i only saw a few pups and didnt have any problems, only my first time there though for half day

ful-rac 09-15-2014 05:03 PM

Heeeeyyyyy wait a minute.....!!!!

You clowns owe us something right???!!!!

roby 09-15-2014 05:04 PM

I would love to get my hands on one of those San-O yellowtail - that is something special right there.

Congrats on the nice catch.

YakHanded 09-15-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 206307)
Heeeeyyyyy wait a minute.....!!!!

You clowns owe us something right???!!!!

hahahahhaha absolutely you got it, but on my budget I hope you guys are down with PB no J and a cold one....

DanaPT 09-16-2014 08:40 AM

you stirred the pot! thanks for the report and congrats!