Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Want to try La Jolla, no idea where to go?? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27670)

jforsberg88 11-20-2015 07:27 PM

Want to try La Jolla, no idea where to go??

Hi Guys, I've been following this forum for a couple years, its always gets me fired up about Kayak Fishing, so I finally decided to register an account!

I bought my first Kayak in 2011 and when I used to live in OC I would fish HB Harbor and Dana Point Kelp beds often.

I recently moved to Riverside, which is more inland, but easier for me to get to SD county, I've always heard amazing things about Kayak Fishing in La Jolla.

Can anyone give any advice on a noob to the area? good places to park? Any land marks on the water, anything like that?

I've typically caught Calicos, Sand Bass, Spotted, and Halibuts...I'm originally from Canada, and its a dream of mine to catch a YellowTail :reel:

I appreciate any kind of feedback, Thank you kindly.

Harry Hill 11-20-2015 07:54 PM

I can't help you with La Jolla but you can help me with Huntington Beach, where do I launch, is the Seal Beach Refuge closed to fishing? Is there a bait barge?

jforsberg88 11-20-2015 09:11 PM

Hi Harry,

As for launching, I launch at Sea Bridge Park.

Great parking as long as you're early, and that'll get you right into the bay, you can go by the Simple Green building hit the bay bass, and small halibut.

I'd just Google Map Sea Bridge Park, and it will take you right there, its by some apartment complexes.

Hope this helps.

Murray 11-20-2015 09:15 PM

Now that it is winter, parking should not be as difficult. Thursday's are street cleaning days so be aware. Shoot me a pm and I will give you some more info. If you fish the weekend, should be enough guys to follow. I normally fish mid week since I am retired. You are more than welcome to join me and I will show you the ropes.

jforsberg88 11-21-2015 12:11 PM

What kind of lures do you use in LJ? for YellowTails, using Irons?

chris138 11-24-2015 02:41 PM

heavy irons work, blues greens and browns. dropped on sonar marks.

fishing with live mackerel is the best tactic. use a sibiki to get the macks and fish them either on flyline or on the bottom.

dont waste your time with light line. if you want to get a big YT, you have to rig for them. 40# flouro leaders and 65# pound braid are standard. big bait = big fish. dont get distracted fishing for calicos or other turd rollers. if you want a yt you need to target them specifically.

good luck!

Iceman 11-24-2015 04:06 PM

Harry, here is a map from 2010 Tournament Trail, no bait barge in this harbor.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...boundaries.jpg

Harry Hill 11-24-2015 06:09 PM

Thanks Andy, I didn't get down there this weekend, we had a medical emergency here so fishing got put on the back burner. I want to haul my yak down to fish and then check out what you have to sell. It might be better just to come down and look at your stock but I hate driving down there so I want to make it worth my while. Is there a place to launch near your shop?

Iceman 11-24-2015 07:57 PM

There is coastal access adjacent to the store, it is where we launch our rentals.

Harry Hill 11-24-2015 09:27 PM

that is good to know, I can come to your store then and not worry about finding a launching spot.

jforsberg88 12-08-2015 10:19 AM

Chris, Thank you for the advice! I'm thinking about heading out there this Sunday!

Mr. NiceGuy 12-08-2015 04:56 PM

This might give you an idea of where you want to try:

http://www.pbase.com/schutze/image/161068844/large.jpg

The regular launch point is from the end of Avenida De La Playa. Parking is a little to the north of a public park with green lawn you will see.

Go through the restricted zone and try a sabiki for bait between "The Cove" and "The Bump" along the edge of the kelp. Also take yoyo irons or megabaits, and squid with you.

Then pick up a depth contour you like or follow the the kelp beds down toward the NW Corner. That's all good territory and you will find your orientation to the kelp beds.

Don't forget to check the wind, surf and current reports.

Harry Hill 12-08-2015 05:07 PM

Is there a buoy line marking the end of the reserve? Or easy landmarks so you know you aren't fishing in the wrong area?

Murray 12-08-2015 05:33 PM

Line up the 2 shacks with thatched roofs with the flag pole behind them up on the hill. The 2 shacks are right by the cove.

Harry Hill 12-08-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray (Post 248901)
Line up the 2 shacks with thatched roofs with the flag pole behind them up on the hill. The 2 shacks are right by the cove.

okay, thanks, the last thing I need is a ticket from fishing

Mr. NiceGuy 12-08-2015 06:36 PM

There is a line of buoys. You can also use Navionics Boating app for plotting your route and waypoints. Chartplotter on a FF?

Harry Hill 12-08-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy (Post 248910)
There is a line of buoys. You can also use Navionics Boating app for plotting your route and waypoints. Chartplotter on a FF?

thank you, no smart phone and my ff is pretty primitive so no chart plotter but i will figure it out.

Murray 12-08-2015 08:46 PM

Buoys are in the reserve. You have to go past them unless they have been recently re-positioned.

Mr. NiceGuy 12-09-2015 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 248912)
thank you, no smart phone and my ff is pretty primitive so no chart plotter but i will figure it out.

This is the source of the portion of the chart I posted:
https://xb121.infusionsoft.com/app/s...l?productId=41

They are nicely laminated in plastic to be durable and waterproof.

If you are in Mission Bay, I've seen them at Dana Landing.

A chart and a compass is fun if you're dead reckoning. Once you get your bearings, you can pretty much see where you are, unless it's foggy.

If you're not familiar with the area, there's a lot of water out there. If you get in trouble, do you have a radio?

Be safe.

Harry Hill 12-09-2015 02:29 PM

No radio yet so I'm staying in the bays. Mission Bay was really nice today, a lot of shorts so nothing to call a keeper but I had fun anyway. Light tackle makes it fun.