Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Color matters? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=17189)

FishNinjaY 03-02-2013 10:53 PM

Color matters?

So excited! :luxhello:

Looks like I'm about to jump into this kayak game. Going to try to take advantage of some pre-Fred Hall Show savings..

Super thanks to Andy at OEX SSB :notworthy:
for spending so much time getting a noob like me situated and demo'ing stuff on the water. He's also working on a great package for me, and I'm pretty much decided (finally) on the Hobie Oasis tandem. My 10yr old boy doesn't know it yet, but I'm actually getting a second kayak to give him, a Malibu Mini-X... the color might not entirely be in my control, but I asked my son what colors he liked, and he picked out the LIME GREEN! Yikes.. a bit loud, no? (especially since I hope to use it for solo fishing when I have a few hours free).. but.. I guess if that's what the boy wants!

Got me thinking...

What are peoples preferences on color of kayak? Any issues that factored in, like visibility on the water?, safety? dirt/cleaning? how it wears over time with beach rash? etc... Personally, I think I favor the lighter, more subdued colors, like stone for the Malibu, or ivory dune for the Hobie.. but the mango yellow is ok also? I guess I'm not picky.

Ok.. just wondering what you guys thought. Thanks!!

Can't wait.. :reeling:

See y'all out there!
-Jay:paddleersmilie:

FlyFishinYakr 03-02-2013 11:39 PM

I also wondered if there was a fishing difference in color when deciding on my Outback. Since I was confirming my place on the 2.5 day in June I asked CJ his opinion. He informed me, I his opinion color never seemed to be an issue. As with boats it's more about the noise from "boat slap" that might make more of a difference. When I talked to "Andy" @ SSB, he confirmed the same thing. After reviewing many picks on this forum I noticed :wsb: & :yt: have been caught on yaks of all different colors :) !
From the safety stand point I thought about a mango color but finally settled on a neutral color "Dune".
FFY
Just my $.02

kiyo21 03-02-2013 11:51 PM

I have a lime green trident 13 and color to me is preference doesn't stop the fish just helps the boats to see you. + brighter is better

madncrzydm 03-03-2013 01:39 AM

Custom paint job on mine.

http://i45.tinypic.com/vb39y.jpg

taggermike 03-03-2013 11:55 AM

I've never given yak color too much thought. A light colored bottom may blend in with the light coming down similar to the counter shading found in most fish. I bright kayak will make you more visible topower boaters; never a bad idea. Darker kayaks show scratches more. Mike

Gigafish 03-03-2013 12:21 PM

Brighter colors are better, you would notice a high visibility difference on the water. Kayaks are considered a low visibility craft.

GregAndrew 03-03-2013 04:04 PM

A vast majority of the fish you catch will not be close enough to your yak that they could tell what color it is. For a 10yo I would recommend a high vis color too. The only differences I have noticed is that the darker colors absorb a little more sunlight (get warmer). And the bright colors can cause a little blurring in videos on sunny days.

CKallday71 03-03-2013 04:55 PM

Not completely related to this topic but in a round about way it is.

With all the issues of seals/seal lions I wonder if anyone has ever tried painting Eye Spots on their Yaks. LIke they do on airplanes to avoid bird strikes. In the animal world, big eyes looking at you can be intimidating to some species. Not sure if it would have any effect on the Seals/Sea Lions but you never know.

I just purchased a blue Cobra Fish N Dive and was contemplating an old Flying Tigers mouth on the front just for giggles. Wonder if one of our local Great Whites will try and mate with it. Kidding of course.

FishNinjaY 03-03-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 149472)
A vast majority of the fish you catch will not be close enough to your yak that they could tell what color it is. For a 10yo I would recommend a high vis color too. The only differences I have noticed is that the darker colors absorb a little more sunlight (get warmer). And the bright colors can cause a little blurring in videos on sunny days.

Thanks for all the great replies.. keep them coming! :cheers1:
I agree.. I'll at least psychologically feel better if my son is kayaking solo on the Mini-X in some high-vis color.. so if he likes the neon LIME.. why the heck not.

I like the eye ball idea.. why not just paint it like a giant great white, including foaming jaws and giant teeth!!

Cbad Mike 03-03-2013 09:43 PM

I ride a bright green Malibu which I bought used. Im not a real big fan of the color but as a plus there are no reports that the tax man has tried to collect on a lime green kayak.
:D

Old Man in the Sea 03-04-2013 10:12 AM

yum yum yellow and red are the 2 best GWS colors...avoid those...

bigdez93 03-04-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea (Post 149526)

is this scientific fact or from experience?

janines.fishtales@cox.net 03-04-2013 11:58 AM

Yipes! I have yum yum yellow....!!

Janine

FishNinjaY 03-04-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea (Post 149526)

sorry... what's "GWS" ? lol

janines.fishtales@cox.net 03-04-2013 12:17 PM

I don't know but I think he meant Great White Shark!

I'm gonna paint my yak!

Janine

Jimmyz123 03-04-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net (Post 149544)
I don't know but I think he meant Great White Shark!

I'm gonna paint my yak!

Janine

Just paint the bottom.