Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Shark attack video/stories. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31203)

taggermike 05-29-2017 09:21 AM

Shark attack video/stories.

What's up with the shark attack posts?
Are you trying to help, scare folks out of the water, or just think its cool?

Of course, post what you want. But we all know sharks exist in the ocean. We all know attacks occur. Let that shit go, please. Mike

DanaPT 05-29-2017 05:29 PM

Like Fight Club.

goldenglory18 05-30-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 280213)
Like Fight Club.

...except EVERYONE talks about shark attacks.

Now that I'm in the water more, I can't help but think about it all the time. I know they are there, and I get that "attacks" happen, but its part of the game.

They aren't called the Tax Man for no reason...

FISH11 05-30-2017 10:10 AM

It's like every time you pass by any kind on minor traffic accident. You see all the Frickin rubber neck lookie loos just looking to see if there's any blood! WHY.........

jorluivil 05-30-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 280239)
It's like every time you pass by any kind on minor traffic accident. You see all the Frickin rubber neck lookie loos just looking to see if there's any blood! WHY.........

oooooh com'on!!!!

Don't tell me you've never slowed down to see an accident:rolleyes:

Saying you never have is like saying you've never slowly paddled your way to spot where that guy just hooked up.

FISH11 05-30-2017 02:13 PM

Hi, Jorge. I don't turn and stare, just hope no-one was hurt and want to get the hell past the traffic tie up and back to speed.

tacmik 05-30-2017 02:49 PM

Actually, the seals scare me more than the sharks.

jorluivil 05-30-2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacmik (Post 280264)
Actually, the seals scare me more than the sharks.

My biggest fear is worrying about whether or not I'll have to pay for lunch for Tony, Greg and Roby

ronbo613 05-30-2017 06:24 PM

Some places we fish are sharky so we take that into consideration.

lowprofile 05-31-2017 06:12 AM

Just don't use a red kayak and you're okay.

SorryCharlie 05-31-2017 04:31 PM

Red kayak doesn't mean attack, I think its more to do with wrong place, wrong time. I had a nice calm experience with a whitey recently (actually think there were at least 2), and have a red kayak (video below). Been wanting to see one (I love sharks), but not wanting to at the same time.....

As long as they are under 10ft, I'm not majorly concerned. Once they are over that you can be sure I will be getting away as fast as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6s8LUonRxE

SDROB 05-31-2017 04:43 PM

:D

TJones 05-31-2017 05:24 PM

Posting scary videos ,

Quote:

Originally Posted by taggermike (Post 280192)
What's up with the shark attack posts?
Are you trying to help, scare folks out of the water, or just think its cool?

Of course, post what you want. But we all know sharks exist in the ocean. We all know attacks occur. Let that shit go, please. Mike

Prior to one of the greatest So. Cal fishing seasons? Shame on you. :eek:

jpp9565 05-31-2017 05:53 PM

I get really afraid of sharks when I'm thinking about it at home but when I'm out on the water I don't really give it much thought. I never cared about them when I was a kid in the water all summer long in HB but now that I'm older, and obviously have less to live for, I stress out on them. Funny how you're fearless when you're a kid.

lowprofile 05-31-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorryCharlie (Post 280336)
Red kayak doesn't mean attack, I think its more to do with wrong place, wrong time. I had a nice calm experience with a whitey recently (actually think there were at least 2), and have a red kayak (video below). Been wanting to see one (I love sharks), but not wanting to at the same time.....

As long as they are under 10ft, I'm not majorly concerned. Once they are over that you can be sure I will be getting away as fast as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6s8LUonRxE

I think it was 2011 or 12 there was a small string of attacks and the running joke was to sell your red yaks.

goldenglory18 06-01-2017 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpp9565 (Post 280341)
I get really afraid of sharks when I'm thinking about it at home but when I'm out on the water I don't really give it much thought. I never cared about them when I was a kid in the water all summer long in HB but now that I'm older, and obviously have less to live for, I stress out on them. Funny how you're fearless when you're a kid.

Funny, its the exact opposite for me. Now that I'm older, I actually care a lot less. Probably because I have awesome life insurance and I know that if the tax man cashes in on me, he gives most of the proceeds to my wife. LOL

PapaDave 06-01-2017 06:36 AM

There has been great whites along the beach at Doheny's for awhile now. I used to see one there all the time, named him Bob. I'm not too concerned about it. Lately they have been more common, and they've been jumping out of the water by about six feet, real close too. That is a bit intimidating, but my worry is it landing on the kayak, not attacking me. Logically, if it was going to attack it had the opportunity already.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...oat-australia/

BTW, I disagree with their theory in the article.

ronbo613 06-13-2017 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowprofile (Post 280299)
Just don't use a red kayak and you're okay.

I surfed on a red and yellow surfboard in some of the most shark infested waters in Central America(we saw sharks every time we went surfing) and the only thing the red surfboard attracted for sure was mosquitoes.

FullFlavorPike 06-13-2017 07:26 AM

Cuz sharks are AWESOME !! I love them. Prehistoric killing machines that filled an evolutionary niche millions of years ago and have become they best there is at what they do. How could anyone not admire them?

goldenglory18 06-13-2017 07:29 AM

Saw the local NBC news this AM.....some chick recently lost her right arm above the elbow to the tax man. Didnt hear where she was but I'm assuming it was outside of the LA area.

Dun, dun. Dun, dun. Dun, dun..........