Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Makoville update (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=33519)

JCHAPIN 10-03-2018 10:53 AM

Makoville update

Baja tried to take out our trucks but we made it to Makoville. We left Monday at 0500 from San Diego. Along the way we got caught right in the brunt of the tropical storm. We made it just past Puertecito and then encountered a bridge that was destroyed. We had to move many big rocks from landslides along the way and finally had to turn back. We linked back up with a few other kayakers that we lost at one point and stayed in Puertecito at the local store. MakoBob and I gave it another shot today and it was rough going. At this point 4X4 is mandatory to pass all the destroyed bridges. 3.5 hours from Puertecito to Makoville. It will take one full day at least to move from San Felipe to Makoville. More info later once we get settled.

YakDout 10-03-2018 11:24 AM

that’s good you guys finally made it but a real bummer it took so long. Subscribing to thread for updates as we are coming later in October. Luckily both vehicles in our group will be 4 by.

Denis_Ruso 10-03-2018 12:16 PM

Thank you for the update! We will be coming down on Saturday with 3 4x4 trucks, probably follow your trail if its not better by then.

Zed 10-03-2018 12:22 PM

Good work.

ProfessorLongArms 10-03-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCHAPIN (Post 297564)
Baja tried to take out our trucks but we made it to Makoville. We left Monday at 0500 from San Diego. Along the way we got caught right in the brunt of the tropical storm. We made it just past Puertecito and then encountered a bridge that was destroyed. We had to move many big rocks from landslides along the way and finally had to turn back. We linked back up with a few other kayakers that we lost at one point and stayed in Puertecito at the local store. MakoBob and I gave it another shot today and it was rough going. At this point 4X4 is mandatory to pass all the destroyed bridges. 3.5 hours from Puertecito to Makoville. It will take one full day at least to move from San Felipe to Makoville. More info later once we get settled.

Glad you guys made it down OK and thank you for the update. I am likely a tentative at best at this point. Will let you guys know if that changes.

Sivak 10-03-2018 01:45 PM

I just got off the phone with Mako Bob, he said it took them 8 hours to go from Puertecitos to Mako-Ville and that the roads were super bad. He is recommending anyone headed down real soon to go thru TJ and cross over at Chapala. He also said their is no power at camp, their is a problem with the charge controller.

Denis_Ruso 10-03-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sivak (Post 297577)
I just got off the phone with Mako Bob, he said it took them 8 hours to go from Puertecitos to Mako-Ville and that the roads were super bad. He is recommending anyone headed down real soon to go thru TJ and cross over at Chapala. He also said their is no power at camp, their is a problem with the charge controller.

Since we're headed down in a few days, anything we can bring down to fix the problem?

Baja_Traveler 10-03-2018 06:22 PM

The Friends of Gonzaga Facebook group reported many bulldozers headed north today to cut bypasses around the damage. I think that by the time we head down in a few weeks it will be easily drivable, just slower due to even more dirt roads to negotiate than before. It will be just like the Baja of my youth.

I'm also sure that when Bob returns he will have a list of materials the we will need to bring down - for both the camp and the locals...

Iceman 10-04-2018 07:00 AM

days of your youth..........this was the way it was just 7 years ago:D
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/IMG_3520.jpg

Denis_Ruso 10-04-2018 07:34 AM

Hey all,

I'm going to be searching the internet for some answers today since we leave tomorrow night.

Trying to figure out the below.

1. Is the La Poma restaurant stocked on food? Could we eat there every night for a week?

2. How is the road going up the 5 to Gonzaga from the 1 & 5 intersection?

3. Does Gonzaga Pemex still have gas?

DavidT 10-04-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 297599)
Hey all,

I'm going to be searching the internet for some answers today since we leave tomorrow night.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/today.php has a couple of threads on road conditions, etc. and somewhere in there a link to a Puertecitos facebook page.
Fair warning though: that forum often dissolves into insults and backbiting.

DavidT 10-04-2018 08:24 AM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/400767196648940/
Puertecitos page.

Denis_Ruso 10-04-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidT (Post 297602)

Thanks, i’m already on both of those pages.

More looking for information which isnt already out there.

Scratch the road conditions question, we decided to do a bit of offroading. So we’ll be going down the 5. Slow and steady.

goldenglory18 10-04-2018 09:29 AM

This post really makes me want to trade in my 2x4..... :(

Hope everyone makes it down (and out) safely!

- Kenny

ProfessorLongArms 10-04-2018 09:52 AM

I’m out

No way I’ll be comfortable outfitting a setup in time.

Stay safe down there everybody! I hope to catch a trip in 2019

Denis_Ruso 10-04-2018 09:57 AM

Bummer you have to bail out. I think the biggest concern for the mid October trip is Hurricane Sergio. Forecasts are showing that in about 7-10 days there's going to be another heavy downpour.

That's my biggest worry on our drive back home next week. Fingers crossed that it wont turn towards land as forecast.

Baja_Traveler 10-04-2018 06:54 PM

Yes, Sergio could be just as bad, and it is due to hit right in the middle of the first week of the trip.
Unfortunately it is increasingly looking like I will have to miss yet another October trip, so I'll miss all the excitement.
Bad timing on the job, as my company is assigning me to a new client in the next week or so and they will not want me dissappearing as soon as I get there...

rossman 10-04-2018 07:28 PM

I think Sergio could be quite a bit worse than Rosa. All the models show it coming ashore about the same area as Rosa, but Rosa left us with some very warm water. 77 degrees here in Asuncion today, so Sergio is not going to lose intensity like Rosa did. I'm thinking he could be the real deal for my area anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler (Post 297622)
Yes, Sergio could be just as bad, and it is due to hit right in the middle of the first week of the trip.
Unfortunately it is increasingly looking like I will have to miss yet another October trip, so I'll miss all the excitement.
Bad timing on the job, as my company is assigning me to a new client in the next week or so and they will not want me dissappearing as soon as I get there...

Gr8fuldude 10-04-2018 07:39 PM

If the storm is called Sergio, wouldn't it be a "him-acane"? Sorry, I've been listening to too many jokes from my 6 year old daughter.

I was hoping to sneak down for a last minute Makoville trip but it's looking more and more unlikely with this weather. This will be the first year in many that I haven't made it down at least once to Makoville. Sad! Have fun everybody and hopefully I'll be back in 2019 with a vengeance!

Paul

Mahigeer 10-05-2018 11:35 AM

No fish is worth ruining your daily ride.

Not to mention getting stuck in the middle of desert.