Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   what does barrcuda taste like? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10240)

wiredantz 05-13-2011 01:29 PM

what does barrcuda taste like?

Is it good like bass?

Phatford 05-13-2011 01:32 PM

I have only had it SMOKED but it was AWESOME!

fishsouthcounty 05-13-2011 01:49 PM

soft mushy and gross....one mans trash is another mans treasure. Hear its great smoked. But many people really enjoy it. Key is to at least bleed it once it is caught. I have seen many suggest to go as far as bleeding and gutting or even filleting almost immediately after being caught and getting on Ice otherwise its not worth it. Next time you catch a legal bring one home and give it a shot.

check this recent thread on BD...

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/ins...barracuda.html

old_rookie 05-13-2011 02:26 PM

Hard to keep your catch iced on a yak unless you bring along a cooler with ice in it.

Jimmyz123 05-13-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredantz (Post 83653)
Is it good like bass?

Whatever rumors you have heard of Cuda ignore them. When you catch one, if it's legal, bleed it out, and keep it cool. If you keep it out in the sun like they do on the cattle boats, yes, they will get mushy. If you keep them cool they taste insanly great. The meat is nice if kept in cool conditions.

Teryaki is one great way to cook them, smoking. Pretty much anything you would do with Yellowtail, Dorado, and other fish like that you can do with cuda. I love them and would be very happy keeping them.

Jimmyz123 05-13-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_rookie (Post 83659)
Hard to keep your catch iced on a yak unless you bring along a cooler with ice in it.

One way to do this is get a catch bag and fill that with ice and once you bleed them out slip the fish into the ice.

Phatford 05-13-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 (Post 83662)
One way to do this is get a catch bag and fill that with ice and once you bleed them out slip the fish into the ice.

I also have a Catchbag that I fill with ICE inside bags. Before I head into the beach if the waves are bad you can ditch the extra ICE weight.

TIPS for Barries:

1 Cut the gills while the fish is still alive to pump all the blood out.
2 Put on ice immediately
3 Keep the fish strait, this is where the mush comes into play.

Most cattle if not all make you store the fish in a gunny sack, if so make sure you bring some wire or string to tie the tails up and hang the fish from the sack hook strait down.

4 When cutting the fish make sure you clean all the slime from the cutting board and knife, want to get rid of fishy task make sure you don't let the fish slime touch the meat.

And like I said I have only had smoked and it was quite good!

ful-rac 05-13-2011 03:33 PM

Barracuda are exellent eating! It just has to be taken care of well. Make sure you bleed it and keep it cool and wet, and you will be rewarded. Try barracuda tacos! awsome stuff!!!

Jimmyz123 05-13-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phatford (Post 83665)
I also have a Catchbag that I fill with ICE inside bags. Before I head into the beach if the waves are bad you can ditch the extra ICE weight.

TIPS for Barries:

1 Cut the gills while the fish is still alive to pump all the blood out.
2 Put on ice immediately
3 Keep the fish strait, this is where the mush comes into play.

Most cattle if not all make you store the fish in a gunny sack, if so make sure you bring some wire or string to tie the tails up and hang the fish from the sack hook strait down.

4 When cutting the fish make sure you clean all the slime from the cutting board and knife, want to get rid of fishy task make sure you don't let the fish slime touch the meat.

And like I said I have only had smoked and it was quite good!

Great tips here. If most fish are prepped correctly from catch to cooking they should come out great. The problem with fish is if you do not store them correctly this can mess up the meat.
If you are going on a Cattle boat most of the Seaforth boats store their fish in salt Brine freezers. This really helps the fish, but they don't bleed them for you. With cuda the key is the bleeding right after the catch and then going onto ice. Enjoy, these fish are nice to catch and to eat.

jorluivil 05-13-2011 03:53 PM

They taste like chicken.

I usually fillet them and make fish tacos out of them, no complaints yet.

TankSD13 05-13-2011 04:06 PM

Caught a few last year on a sportie, they were not bled right away and kept in the sack all day. Went home and cleaned them up, removed all of the red meat. Everything that was red I took out. Some of the best fish tacos I ever had!!

PapaDave 05-13-2011 04:25 PM

Have caught a few in my day, I like to catch them and eat them, they taste good to me. I have a smoker so if I get a limit I will smoke a couple. I have cooked them many ways but my favorite is on the grill.

wiredantz 05-13-2011 05:12 PM

thanks everyone

driftwood 05-13-2011 05:13 PM

Big log barracudas were once plentiful in La Lolla. Have not seen those big logers in the past 3-4 years. Don't know why they stopped visting Ja Jolla.

Best way to eat Barracuda...slice them across in big chunks and deep fry them. :eating:

Siebler 05-13-2011 05:40 PM

I like Cuda, Just bleed keep them cool and remove the bloodline and they are great.

If you cant keep the fish straight then youll learn quick how to fillet a curved cuda. They call it the Deckhand Challenge. When you straighten them is when the meat all pops and gets super mushy.

I too like them smoked the most, Hoping to bring some home tomorrow and do that.

ctrujillo 05-13-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 83666)
Barracuda are exellent eating! It just has to be taken care of well. Make sure you bleed it and keep it cool and wet, and you will be rewarded. Try barracuda tacos! awsome stuff!!!

x2 :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

maui jim 05-14-2011 07:22 AM

Tastes great my brothers cat love them.....Meow.....

I have had them freah caught and cooked( within 15 minutes ) and it's good, but some how they dont quite taste the same at home...:(
I found Lobsters love them also....:cool:

Vikingj 05-14-2011 02:43 PM

Tried it baked many years ago and did not like it. Last year I tried it again. It wasn't firm enough for BBQ so I decided to cube it and fry for fish tacos. My wife is a very picky fish eater so I didn't expect her to even try it, but she did. Her expert opinion for fish tacos: sandbass=good, halibut=excellent, barracuda=best ever! When I showed her a picture of what she was eating she wondered if fish flavor is determined by how ugly/mean it looks.
wayne

Jimmyz123 05-14-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingj (Post 83757)
When I showed her a picture of what she was eating she wondered if fish flavor is determined by how ugly/mean it looks.
wayne

Maybe that's why Lingcod are so great to eat.

maui jim 05-15-2011 07:04 AM

You never hear a Ling Cod refered to as a "Snot Stick"