Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   knots...3 Best (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10457)

ChefT 06-06-2011 08:20 AM

knots...3 Best

Hey there folks....

So i was kinda of curious to hear what your 3 best knots are...

I have a few down my-self :linesnap: but hear different things from different people.

and some of you do it so fast I get lost....

Cheers..:cheers1:

T

aka...Travis...aka...Tugboat

rogersmith 06-06-2011 08:41 AM

improved clinch knot, palomar and uni to uni knots cover about all my needs

gcsasher 06-06-2011 08:45 AM

knots

check out animatedknots.com you can see them step by step.
<ANIMATEDKNOTS.COM>

Siebler 06-06-2011 08:59 AM

San Diego, Double San Diego, and Baldy

T Bone 06-06-2011 09:03 AM

Palomar for hooks.Double san diego for jigs or lures.Uni to Uni for line to line.

zinkysd 06-06-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siebler (Post 85797)
San Diego, Double San Diego, and Baldy

X2

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski

taggermike 06-06-2011 09:43 AM

Sorry, I can't keep it at 3. I use
Baldy for hooks and palstics.
San Diego for Irons
Spider hitch or surgeons loop for dropper looping
Uni to uni for conecting spec to mono/fluoro
Seaguar knot to connect fluoro to mono.

These work for me. Mike

Billy V 06-06-2011 10:13 AM

The Best Knot
- is a knot that has been properly lubricated first - then drawn carefully and not too far along its main line.

If you apply this any of your favorite knots they will test better.
----------------------------------------
San Diego or Irwin for hooks, swivels, or irons.

Inshore connection for Spectra to Mono...
Albright, or Uni to Uni.
or
San Diego-Swivel-San Diego

Offshore
Bimini Twist to Albright Special for connecting Spectra to Mono.
or
Cat's Paw for loop to loop.

Siebler 06-06-2011 10:21 AM

Didnt think about Dropper loops and stuff on my list. for rockfish and bass I just tie a standard DL, for larger fish a Rose Knot is my choice.

I also go Seaguar for mono/fluoro connections.

Spectra to mono I almost always have a Dacron loop but in a pinch will go with a Uni to Uni.

ChefT 06-06-2011 10:34 AM

Perfect...

I got the Double Uni ...line to line down ....

the SD knots are new to me....

thanks all for the help.... just don't wana lose "That One"

even though its a good laugh win i would watch a jig fly of into the sunset...:biggrinjester:

got a bit of rope, gona spend some time working....

also....looking to go out wed....
and check out the june issue of SD magazine, there is a good article on MPA, bait, and LJ....

addicted2sp33d 06-06-2011 12:11 PM

Multiple knots?? :eek: I just use a Uni-Knot for everything because I can cinch it tight or make a loop... but most importantly I can tie one in the dark, just by feel... and yes, I do lube before I cinch.

Someone tell me if I'm just being naive. Maybe I'm just lucky that I haven't experienced any knot failures?? I've had line snag/cuts, but not knot failures. :linesnap:

tagyak 06-06-2011 01:29 PM

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...-fishing-knots

found this article from fieldandstream while looking up on how to tie the suggested knots from this forum. it list the 5 strongest fishing knots. it maybe a good read for us who don't have a favorite knot.

ChefT 06-06-2011 02:01 PM

nice Field and Stream Article.... really helped out allot..:reel:

fishsouthcounty 06-06-2011 02:08 PM

just curious why noone has stated the Tony Pena as a a knot they use for attaching braid to mono/fluoro?? Noticed it was pretty commonly used in a similar topic recently discussed on BD. I am pretty new to the whole use of braid but started tying the Tony Pena as my connector knot. Havent really gotten to put it to use on anything but a few small calicos but seems good.

Billy V 06-06-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d (Post 85826)
Multiple knots?? :eek: I just use a Uni-Knot for everything because I can cinch it tight or make a loop... but most importantly I can tie one in the dark, just by feel... and yes, I do lube before I cinch.

Someone tell me if I'm just being naive. Maybe I'm just lucky that I haven't experienced any knot failures?? I've had line snag/cuts, but not knot failures. :linesnap:

The Uni is an excellent knot, it ranks high among the strongest fishing knots.
- You can tie it well - so keep on using it.

It can be tied in lines up to 200 lbs, and it is one of the knots used on long range boats while fishing cow tuna.
---------------------------------

Tman 06-06-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d (Post 85826)

:iagree:

I do use a drooper loop knot when fishing weighted, but for hook to line, uni, never had a knot fail.

Even use it for fishing light line, surf fishing, and have no fails.

jorluivil 06-07-2011 02:37 AM

Albright Special - Spectra to Mono/Flouro
Perfection Loop - When fishing with live bait.
Dropper Loop - Fishing live bait at the bottom

buttchaser 06-07-2011 03:56 AM

Tony Pena knot
Double San Diego
Spider Hitch

addicted2sp33d 06-07-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy V (Post 85891)
The Uni is an excellent knot, it ranks high among the strongest fishing knots.
- You can tie it well - so keep on using it.

It can be tied in lines up to 200 lbs, and it is one of the knots used on long range boats while fishing cow tuna.
---------------------------------

Oh Good. This makes me feel better. :)

Forgot to mention - I even use the Uni-knot on the anchor-end of my anchor line! :p

This is a bit superficial, but I just think a well-tied Uni-knot just looks good and other knots look like a jumbled mess... as if the fish are going to judge me on the prettiness of my knots. :rolleyes: