Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2-pointers in the bay is..... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=1089)

madscientist 07-21-2006 05:43 PM

2-pointers in the bay is.....

...well, you know. 8)

Joe and I decided to go up a bit in search of the flat kind after a gentleman's launch around 9:00am. Found macs on dines over the finger of scripps and loaded up. Did the long paddle up to the south torrey reef and drifted that sucker for most of the day. Not a bite. Drifted in shallower and Joe finally hooked up on a guitarfish. Discovered my camera had crapped out.

Moved out of the shark zone when I finally had a bait get raked. Next drop, the rod got heavy fast. Felt a twitch so I knew it was fish, and thankfully it didn't make any sharky runs. Thinking right kind all the way so I backed way off on the drag and took my time. At color I saw beaver, and took an excited gaff shot. Gaff stuck, but pissed the fish off royally and it jerked it out of my hand. Almost dove in after it but it came close and I got it on board. Felt like a little bit of Arne's mojo was in the air since the only thing holding the fish to the line was a tiny bit of mouth skin on the treble trap. Stringered up, cut a gill, then it went apeshit. Had it in and out of the boat about 3 times and got completely soaked before I managed to subdue with about 2 dozen gaff blows to the head. Not pretty, but this 26 pounds of light and flaky was the end result. At least I can banish thoughts of the bay for another week and a half.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/f...MG0312trim.JPG

tylerdurden 07-21-2006 05:53 PM

Nice flattie. I was wondering if something happened, hadn't seen a picture of you with a fish for a whole week :roll: . I have been thinking about going north for a while but just haven't been able to pull the trigger with the yt around.

ski 07-21-2006 06:05 PM

Those are tasty!
Congrats on a fine fish!
Mark

Dan 07-21-2006 06:09 PM

niiiiiiice. enjoy that fish!

Iceman 07-21-2006 06:13 PM

Holy crapoli! Nice flatypus :D

Dennis 07-21-2006 06:23 PM

Damn Brad... Nice looking tan! :lol: ... Oh, nice fish too.

Aaron&Julie 07-21-2006 07:30 PM

That's a beaut, Brad. Congratulations on some big points and good-eating.
Watch out though, we've heard those open ocean flatties can be infested with all kinds of stuff :shock: .

kurt 07-21-2006 07:34 PM

All the toxins and PCB's in the bay tend to kill the worms in the halibut. You should send those filets over to me to make sure there aren't any worms. Great fish!

katchfish 07-21-2006 07:36 PM

Glad to see the torturous monotony of fishing up north has paid off for someone! :wink:

Isn't the cheezy garage shot -1 point?

Ken

MKNOTT 07-21-2006 09:46 PM

Nice fish brad. I stayed up there when I saw you guys thursday for nothing but leapards. :roll:

lamb 07-22-2006 09:18 AM

All right now!!!! 8)

Thatza lot of points, isn't it?? :lol:

rastrev 07-22-2006 02:30 PM

Nice fish Brad!!!

Grego 07-24-2006 06:41 AM

Nice rug...try take a fillet and dice it into squares. Marinate them in Lowry's Lemon and Pepper 30 minute seasoning. Ka-bob them with shrooms, pineapple, bell peppers, and red sweet onions. Good grindz, you can pre make them and wrap in foil for your famous on the water bbq.

nmbrinkman 07-24-2006 01:43 PM

Oh yeah....where is the bbq....I guess with the summer time action it just gets in the way...

bigderel 07-25-2006 02:35 AM

Nice flattie...odd though, that garage looks exactly like mine. No, I mean exactly, with the back patio above, same trim, wall, dryer, down to a tee. Must be the same developer, I'd know if there was another yakker in the complex, right? Unless I'm a bit unobservant, and that is 'Canyon Rim'...?