Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What size hooks for thresher ? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11162)

Pampano 08-21-2011 07:50 PM

What size hooks for thresher ?

New to kayak fishing. I have been twice to Newport Bay and outside about 1 mile south of the jetty, tons of mackerel. Does any one know what size of hook for thresher to use, how deep, and what kind of bait to us? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

:reel:

danjor 08-21-2011 07:55 PM

I am also intrested in this info. If anyone has knowledge to spare.

dorado50 08-21-2011 08:51 PM

:reeling:I would suggest a 14/0 hook with greenback in 250ft. of water..

Pampano 08-21-2011 09:03 PM

Thanks for the info!

taggermike 08-22-2011 09:42 AM

Hook size for bait fishing is usually simple; match the hook size to the size of you live bait. You want a hook that the bait fish can swim with and look some what natural. What size macs do you have, 6 inchers or 2 lbers? I use between 3/0 and 6/0 for mac fishing. Mike

Handymansd 08-22-2011 10:07 AM

What:
I like to use very large greenbacks with a 7/0 mutu circle and 150# mono leader works well for T's up to 100#s or so. Larger Sharks typically need steel. I have caught them with steel leaders but I seem to have more success with mono for number of bites... go figure.
Fishing with Rapalas and other "Tkillers" is really a questionable practice resulting in mostly tail hookups, not much fun, and I choose to not participate in using them.
While using chum may increases your chances, it may also increase your chances of being targeted by larger model Mako or other denizen of the ocean depths better left alone... or to more stable fishing platforms like a boat with experienced captain.

Where:
I usually have better luck fishing the temp and current breaks as opposed to any certain depths, especially in a yak where the up-dwelling banks are kind of hard to get to. In particular try the lines of debarkation just outside of areas of "dirty" water or low current water. If current and temp breaks are difficult to find the next best bet is to try to target the higher edge of the canyons or where large drop-offs occur. Most Threshers are usually hooked in 100' or better, though smaller juvenile models are typically caught in shallower waters; but as with any fish they can be caught at any depth. The larger models tend to like the bait presentation lower than 30' in my experience, not in the surface column. Just be prepared and be safe when targeting larger sharks even T's can be dangerous at <100#!

Just my 0.02.
Good Luck!

Pampano 08-22-2011 01:17 PM

Thanks guys for the great info, new to the sport, and for some reason I find TS a challenge, until I get in deep trouble, than I go back to fish sardines.

Good luck!

Pampano 08-22-2011 01:31 PM

Hello Mike,

We caught tons of 6 to 8" Mack just outside the bay in Newport. I was not sure what hook to use. Reading your comments and tips, I will ensure I use the right gear.

Thanks again!

Handymansd 08-22-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pampano (Post 92804)
Hello Mike,

We caught tons of 6 to 8" Mack just outside the bay in Newport. I was not sure what hook to use. Reading your comments and tips, I will ensure I use the right gear.

Thanks again!

be sure to put very slight "slits" down the sides of the Macs to give slight amounts of blood without killing your bait.

Pampano 08-23-2011 01:20 PM

That's a good tip Handyman! Thanks!