Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Best Halibut rig? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13096)

Yakin 04-05-2012 03:18 PM

Best Halibut rig?

Been getting screwed on the halibuts lately
I think it is my rig that is screwing me up
Any ideas or advice for trolling for the trash cans

jorluivil 04-05-2012 03:22 PM

What rig are you using?

I've had success with the drop shot, three way swivel, and Carolina rig.

Yakin 04-05-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 112809)
What rig are you using?

I've had success with the drop shot, three way swivel, and Carolina rig.

a three swivel with a 1oz sinker and about 1 foot of leader to my hook

Gigafish 04-05-2012 03:46 PM

Don't forget the trap hook. Big baits

jorluivil 04-05-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakin (Post 112810)
a three swivel with a 1oz sinker and about 1 foot of leader to my hook

I always use an 8oz sinker, its a lot more weight than the average halibut fisher tends to use but I use it because it will stir up more of the bottom which in turn will attract halibut. Additionally, it will hold the bottom much better when the current is moving against you and I always setup two rods, both with different rigs until I see which one gives me more action. Whatever you do don't be afraid to experiment, try different rigs, leader lengths, mono, floro and different size hooks until you find something that works.

fishingfiend 04-05-2012 05:25 PM

I made it to the Long Beach Pot of Gold Finals 3 times and I'm a believer in a big bounce ball setup. I haven't gone hali drifting on the yak yet, but when I do the big 8oz plus cannon ball on a 3 way swivel will be my preferred setup with a trap hook of course. There is something to be said about a big 8oz cannonball kicking up a bunch of sand and attracting the right kind of attention. I also believe in using the lightest fluro line possible. I've used as low as 12# fluro for those tough days! The cannonball should be attached with less weighted line to ensure the lead will break off in a hangup situation. Replacing the lead is quicker vs retying the trap rig. Otherwise, pretty much what jorluivil said. :)

taggermike 04-05-2012 06:20 PM

In shallower water I like a sliding sinker rig. 1/2 to 2oz in front of a swivel then 24" of fluoro and a light wire circle hook that matches bait size. If I'm deeper I like to use a dropper loop set up. I'm with the other posters about using plenty of lead. If you're not on the bottom you're not really hali fishing. I have found that I caught more shorts while using a trap hook. I don't use trap hooks at all, ever, any more. Mike

Yakin 04-05-2012 06:54 PM

Thanks for the imput guys
I will make sure to bring a list

jorluivil 04-05-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingfiend (Post 112833)
Replacing the lead is quicker vs retying the trap rig. Otherwise, pretty much what jorluivil said. :)

I agree but I would rather loose a circle hook and treble hook before I loose an 8oz sinker.

Billy V 04-05-2012 10:27 PM

Jim Day has a method of tying a trap rig that will increase your hook ups.

Read his post #24 Trap rig in gear with light drag.
Use 20 lb spectra to tie the trap.

I use 15 lb. fluro and my hook up percentage goes way up.
-I'm not a good enough fisherman to hook up with 30 lb.;)

Read it here --> http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...halibut&page=2

Yakin 04-06-2012 08:35 AM

I have only used a trap rig many years ago and didn't have luck with it
how should I set up a trap rig?

ReelNasty 04-06-2012 11:14 AM

They sell trap hook set ups already set up for like 2 bucks in the shops....use a heavy weight to attract them, have a nice swimming sardine and you should be set..remember though, the big ones most likely aren't going to scrape at the bait. They are going to inhale it. So using a trap hook for the big ones is pretty much useless.but if your in an area with all the little brothers and sisters, a trap hook is definetly a good thing to have. Good luck.

Yakin 04-06-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReelNasty (Post 112922)
They sell trap hook set ups already set up for like 2 bucks in the shops..

where are these shops I don't have many decent places to shop at
since turners went to shit
all I have now it BPS due to me living in running springs

blitzburgh 04-06-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakin (Post 112928)
where are these shops I don't have many decent places to shop at
since turners went to shit
all I have now it BPS due to me living in running springs

They have them at BPS. I think they're around $3.95.

Yakin 04-06-2012 12:38 PM

In the salt water area or fresh?

seriola_killer 04-06-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakin (Post 112902)
I have only used a trap rig many years ago and didn't have luck with it
how should I set up a trap rig?

Bigger Halibut have zero problem getting themselves hooked without the need for a trap hook. If you're getting raked, it's because of the non-legals that are doing that, and you don't want to catch those anyway. I.M.H.O. trap hooks are vastly overrated and do more harm than good in two ways:

1. The bait doesn't swim as naturally as possible.

2. Shorts get all mangled up when trying to remove the treble.

To me (again, my personal opinion only), the cons outweigh the pros.

jorluivil 04-06-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seriola_kiler (Post 112959)
Bigger Halibut have zero problem getting themselves hooked without the need for a trap hook. If you're getting raked, it's because of the non-legals that are doing that, and you don't want to catch those anyway. I.M.H.O. trap hooks are vastly overrated and do more harm than good in two ways:

1. The bait doesn't swim as naturally as possible.

Use a longer leader for the trap hook so that it allows more movement. When the bait is lively I can feel it moving around and can see the tip of my rod shake.

2. Shorts get all mangled up when trying to remove the treble.

True.....and you tend to end up with lots of bycatch

To me (again, my personal opinion only), the cons outweigh the pros.

fishingfiend 04-06-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 112852)
I agree but I would rather loose a circle hook and treble hook before I loose an 8oz sinker.

Fortunately, I have many 8oz bounce balls collected from back in the day. I hear you though, lead is not cheap anymore. We are on the same page though, stay on the bottom and draw attention to your bait!

The link BillyV provided has great info, the trap hook answer depends on the conditions. If you're getting raked, add a trap. :)

fishingfiend 04-06-2012 05:32 PM

Hali fishing always reminds me of Spaceballs. This is how you find them.

http://torwars.com/wp-content/upload...ne-500x330.png

William Novotny 04-07-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 112852)

X2