Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   L.J. 10/19/06 A.M. (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=1372)

skiffman 10-19-2006 02:12 PM

L.J. 10/19/06 A.M.

A little bit of close 2' swell at the launch at 06:45. Mixed greenbacks and spanish around the corner. Lots of flotsam all over making it hard to troll. Cruised out S.W. to the fleet off Big Rock for 3 Yellows about 12lbs each. 2 on the birdshit Candyman surface iron and one on a greenback. One big Bonito and a handful of Calicos on the F.T.'s too. Beautiful and warm by 08:00. Gotta love L.J. in the fall. An easy paddle for you guys from Big Rock while the swell is down. The kelp is slowly showing itself all along the traditional kelp line. It's grown quite a bit in the last week. Did'nt lose any bait or fish to the dogs today. Kelvin

Dan 10-19-2006 02:18 PM

thanks for the report kelvin.....quite the cluster of boats off BR today. glad you got some.

Hope it holds for manana AM

Aaron&Julie 10-19-2006 02:59 PM

Kelvin, nice work getting some of those "southern" fish.
We didn't make it out quite that far. We did finally clear some of that flotsam you talked about after going out about a mile west of the condo. That floating grass and kelp was the worst we've ever seen it. Combine that with all the lobster pots around right now and a kayaker will have earned any yellow they might catch.
We had no such luck today, with only one hit each. Beautiful day out there, though. Let's hope those fish move up the line.

Iceman 10-19-2006 06:47 PM

Nice Kelvin, all day long I was thinking it was way too nice out to be working today...........and you were lucky enough to be out working it. :D

katchfish 10-19-2006 07:20 PM

Right on Kelvin! 8)

Ken

Dennis 10-19-2006 07:28 PM

Nice going, Kelvin! Thanks for the report.
-Dennis

blackcloud9 10-19-2006 09:48 PM

Great report Kelvin, thanks. I saw the pile of boats on my way to work along the beach early today. It's funny, the yellows showed last Wednesday too, I was out there Tuesday and Thursday for nada. :!: Solid SW swell arriving for the weekend, fyi Big Rock will have some big sets pumping through, but launchable lulls between. The vertical drop to the beach is about 6' at Winamar as the sand is gone.

aguachico 10-20-2006 06:19 AM

Saw a report on BD that the YT showed that afternoon.
Good way to end the year.

nmbrinkman 10-20-2006 04:39 PM

If you launch from bird rock, where do you pick up bait? I've never worked that far south. I assume there must be kelp to work for macs, but I don't know....

blackcloud9 10-21-2006 05:36 PM

The Big Rock launch makes for tough bait fishing mostly. I have paddled to the yellow buoy a few times to get macks. There are always smelt here, but macks are not a given, but best chance is when the kelp is floating they can be around ....

The BR launch will be dicey on Sunday at any tide above 4'. see www.surfshot.com for the waves today.