Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hobie Hulls?? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=14884)

cowboybill 08-20-2012 07:02 AM

Hobie Hulls??

OK, bit the bullet, goin dark... picked up a like new/used Hobie Revo 13 in the oyster sand color..

Rigging it now.

Selling Tarpon 160 (or attempting to)

Anyways, after a maiden voyage in the bay just to test, etc.. I noticed a few things.

The biggest is the Hull seems a little flimsy, weak, cheap!?!?

I swear if I was real pissed, I could put my fist through parts of the hobie...

I could take a baseball bat too my Tarpon hull and only get tired!!

Same with the wifes old Malibu Stealth 12 (that thing was a beast!)

Anybody else noticed this?!?

Cowboybill:cheers1::confused:

lterrero 08-20-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboybill (Post 130051)
OK, bit the bullet, goin dark... picked up a like new/used Hobie Revo 13 in the oyster sand color..

Rigging it now.

Selling Tarpon 160 (or attempting to)

Anyways, after a maiden voyage in the bay just to test, etc.. I noticed a few things.

The biggest is the Hull seems a little flimsy, weak, cheap!?!?

I swear if I was real pissed, I could put my fist through parts of the hobie...

I could take a baseball bat too my Tarpon hull and only get tired!!

Same with the wifes old Malibu Stealth 12 (that thing was a beast!)

Anybody else noticed this?!?

Cowboybill:cheers1::confused:

Bill,, what are you doing with a Rev:confused: you are a OutBack guy; I know you better..?

Poxy Boggards 08-20-2012 09:45 AM

I have a revo, and it is nice and thick. When I installed the rod holders, the plastic was almost 1/4 inch thick.

mrJB 08-20-2012 10:24 AM

Plastic Hulls...

Bill-

The Tarpon 160 hulls are some of the thickest I've seen, maybe it's something to do with keeping that 16' length from buckeling in the center...

Regarding the Hobie Revo, the areas to be concerned about are around the drive well at the four points of contact and, if a prior model year, at the seat peg holes if expanding seat pegs are used. Oh, and if a scupper cart was used incorrectly, at the rear scupper holes.

Giving Hobie credit where deserved, they are always trying to improve their products, and recent model years are stronger and less prone to failure than models from a few years back, resulting, in part, from increased thickness in the high stress areas.

The roto-molding process being what it is, there are slight variations in various sections of kayaks, regardless of the manufacturer.

Watch those areas that were mentioned, and any developing crack can be better seen by holding a flashlight beam to that area from inside the kayak.

And don't be standing on the pedals while fighting the "BIG ONE".

min-va 08-20-2012 10:30 AM

All i can say is, the only reason i buy a hobie is the mirage system, if tarpon have mirage system, i will take tarpon over any hobie any day.

PA is a different story.....but also that is kind of not consider a kayak already.

cowboybill 08-21-2012 06:37 PM

Thanks! I agree with the last guy... If I could buy a wilderness with a drive!?

But only Hobie has the drive...

Hey Leo... I like em fast and lean... I thought of PA... but .. while it is a useful tool... and I love the seat.. I cant even call it a Kayak! I wanted something to fit on the wifes car for road trips.. (Black canyon, washington, etc..)

I see some real innovation in the hobie, down to details like the hatches, having a universal integrated bait well... the rudder .... And of course the drive with the new drop in system (even the wife cant miss it!!).... But I feel like if I drop it its gonna break!

Anyways, good info..

Take care all!!
cowboybill:cheers1: