Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Long Beach breakwater (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=17525)

Southman 03-28-2013 04:16 PM

Long Beach breakwater

I used to fish the breakwater with my grandpa as a kid back in the early 60's. Thinking of heading out to the breakwater wall this Saturday. Plan to launch from 72nd street along the jetty. Never done this before and was wondering how long a peddle to the last oil island, then how far to the actual breakwater itself.

Anyone have any suggestions/tips other than dodging the island ferrys and massive cargo ships? I'm hoping to have an onshore afternoon wind to help me get back in. Thanks in advance for any info. you can send my way.

Southman

theluckypig 03-28-2013 04:20 PM

if you google earth that location, you can measure the distance with the tools. i've launched there a couple times, its a healthy paddle to the baitbarge... but very doable. get there early and find free parking on the street.

FishNinjaY 03-28-2013 07:31 PM

where's this baitbarge?

Friend of mine, here on BWE also.. he brings a golf umbrella, which he pops open like a handheld sail.. and rides the onshore afternoone wind back home. :luxhello:

Post up a report, I'm interested in figuring these waters out also. Have you considered launching from Shoreline, over by Grisolm island and the marina?

Southman 03-28-2013 07:55 PM

I did launch from Cherry Beach before and fished Grissom Island and around some of the mini-jettys. Wasn't very productive. Looking at maps it does look as though it's a shorter paddle from 72nd Street launch.

jruiz 03-28-2013 09:02 PM

I pedaled along the jetty not too long and I remember the sand being piled up making it hard to get your kayak through at that particular launch location. Might be something to look out for

mralbacore 03-28-2013 09:13 PM

Last August 2012, I launched right near the lifeguard station at the Cherry Beach at 6:30 am and paddled all the way to the breakwater about 1/4 mile west of a bait barge. But no bites everywhere even at the Island White too. It took me 30 minutes to return back to the beach 'til 1:00 pm. The weather was very beautiful with very calm waters all day long... The round trip was 6-1/2 miles...

theluckypig 03-28-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishNinjaY (Post 152040)
where's this baitbarge?

if you launch from 72nd street, the jetty pretty much points to the location. it's where the breakwater begins.

tomahawk 03-28-2013 09:35 PM

It looks like a little less than 2 miles. The bait barge is right at the end of the breakwall. You can see it if zoom in on google maps. I have never tried this but want to, just not sure I am ready for that paddle. The idea of using the wind is intriguing.

h-james 03-29-2013 07:52 PM

The bait barge is right about 2.75 miles from the beach, if you launch at at 72nd St. This, to me is a very do-able paddle.
That area is hit or miss, but I've managed to pull in my PB 33" Halibut while trolling two pinhead anchovies on my way back to the beach at the end of the day.
I'll be heading out there tomorrow morning.
James