Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   GOPRO Hero 3 black or silver... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19138)

troutking 08-06-2013 08:52 PM

GOPRO Hero 3 black or silver...

I've gotten hooked on kayak fishing since summer began and have decided that I'd like a new gadget for the PA 14.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the GOPRO Hero HD 3 and have it narrowed down to the silver or black edition (extra $100.)

My question for you guys! Is it worth the extra money to get the black edition that comes equipped with a wireless remote or stick with the basic silver edition?

Any advice/comments from GOPRO users will be helpful in making my decision!

old_rookie 08-06-2013 09:11 PM

If you have a smartphone you can use that to control it.

ccacher1 08-06-2013 09:18 PM

Is there any difference between the two besides one comes with the remote? You can get that remote for like $65ish on eBay. I have one and it is pretty handy. The fact that wireless is built in on both makes me say go with silver and then get a remote or use your phone.

Carp 08-06-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccacher1 (Post 166028)
Is there any difference between the two besides one comes with the remote? You can get that remote for like $65ish on eBay. I have one and it is pretty handy. The fact that wireless is built in on both makes me say go with silver and then get a remote or use your phone.

@1080HD
Silver 30fps
Black 60fps

Drake 08-06-2013 10:20 PM

Big differences. If you're going to get a Silver edition, you might as well save a bundle of cash and get a gopro 2. You lose features, but the overall quality is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvPBBHAuiI
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yZvPBBHAuiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

usmp06 08-07-2013 12:24 AM

I just picked up a hero 3 black and it's amazing! With being able to control it with the new go pro app you download on your smartphone you can play back videos and review pics right from your phone. I love it and would highly recommend buying the black over the silver. Plus you get a few more MP with the black. you wont regret spending the extra 100.

YakMedic 08-07-2013 05:34 AM

The Black edition is a much better camera when it comes to resolution, recording options and greater frames per second. If you don't want the remote sell it for $50 and you end up only paying $50 more for the Black vs. the silver.

Black Ed. CAMERA SPECS
4kp 12 fps, 2.7kp 30 fps, 1440p48/1080p60/720p120 fps

12MP / 30 fps Burst

Silver Ed. CAMERA SPECS
1080p30/960p48/720p60 fps

11MP / 10 fps Burst

Raskal311 08-07-2013 05:43 AM

You just reminded me I have a GP3 black :D it hasn't seen the light of day since the week I un packaged it.

Baja_Traveler 08-07-2013 06:08 AM

Yea, the Black is awesome. I have the app on my iPhone, but don't use it to control the camera - I like the remote better for that. But the app is great for setting up the camera to frame a shot by seeing what the camera sees.
They just recently did an update on the app that I downloaded last week, I haven't looked at it yet to see what new features it has...

oneyedeer 08-07-2013 07:18 AM

the silver is like a mini gopro hero2 like other post if you planning to get the silver might as well get the hero2 with the wifi pack from costco. You will get better battery life because the wifi has it's own battery source. It's a bit bulkier but for our application it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. The black does have higher resolution and more features but battery life sucks a$$

ful-rac 08-07-2013 07:29 AM

I just got the black and it is an amazing piece of camera equipment...that being said I have found that the wifi remote is pretty much useless. I tested it this past weekend and found that when it's working properly it's the best thing....but when it screws up...which is often...it really, really sucks...but on the Brightside I have found that the gopro app works really well with it. The quality of video that you can shoot with the black is absolutely amazing as compared to the 960 my last gopro...and the 960 was amazing....

Get the black.

Oh and buy a lot of extra batteries....

jorluivil 08-07-2013 07:38 AM

the remote is great but keep in mind that you always have to have it handy, keeping it in a bag or in one of your hatches will not help any. My suggestion: rig the camera so that you can reach it without having to fumble around with any extra items(remote). Additionally, you can setup the camera with the OneTouch button, this allows the user to start recording as soon as you press on one of the buttons. I have my camera rigged so that I can simply reach back, press the button and it will start recording without me skipping a beat.

jorluivil 08-07-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 166042)
Oh and buy a lot of extra batteries....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...HARGER%20GOPRO

Baja_Traveler 08-07-2013 09:32 AM

Oh yea, batteries - when you inadvertently leave the camera on and not recording it will run out of battery in no time flat. I think my GoPro just sitting there turned on with WiFi enabled (and not recording) will run the battery down in just over an hour.
I'm sure sometime in the future they will come out with a waterproof housing with a power port. I'd love to run the camera off my big fish finder battery...

Poxy Boggards 08-07-2013 01:49 PM

Does the better video quality even really matter? When you post it to youtube the quality is reduced dramaticlly.

GregAndrew 08-07-2013 02:40 PM

Yes, the worse quality you start with, the worse quality you get on your upload to youtube. What you also get with the Silver over the 2 is the flat lens which enables you to have focused video underwater. The App is compatible with all the 3 models and I believe with the 2 also.

troutking 08-07-2013 03:40 PM

Thanks for the input! I just picked up the black edition and can't wait to get some footage