Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   6 year old first time out (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19638)

WildernessWanker 09-25-2013 07:02 AM

6 year old first time out

I have finally talked my 6 year old into venturing out on the yak with me to do some fishing. I was curious about where to fish and what to fish for since it's his first time? I was going to just take him around the harbor and get his fill of catching dines or macs but he has made it clear he wants to catch something he can bring home and eat. So that also ruled out bass as I'd rather not bring home bass from inside or around the harbor. I was looking at reports regarding Redondo and people have made mention of dabs just outside by the canyon. Is that probably my safest bet? I should also make it known that I live near Valencia so trekking down to Sand Diego or LJ isn't really ideal. I'm open to anything from Ventura to the Newport area. I just want him to have fun and get him on some fish, drifting for halibut wasn't exactly a sure thing and I wanted to get him hooked for desire to make future trips with his dad. Thank you in advance for any input, and I apologize if I have over thought this whole thing.

jruiz 09-25-2013 07:07 AM

When trout season comes around I'd suggest Irvine Lake. They have a kids lagoon that is at times staffed with pro fisherman to teach kids how to fish. Rockfish is almost a sure bet out of Newport.

Tman 09-25-2013 09:16 AM

Going on a tandem or will he be solo?

I can't recommend any spots up there, can tell you to make sure he tugs on something wherever you go. Believe it or not, drifting for halis can be fun, used to do it with my son when he was around that age, even younger.

Do some drifts, and let him have another outfit where he can let the bait run.

And if you hook a fish, don't tell him, just hand it over...

Good luck and be safe

WildernessWanker 09-25-2013 09:44 AM

Jruiz
thanks for the advice, I didn't even think about freshwater. That might be more in mom's favor and he would have just as much fun as big water. I know for sure he'd hook into some great fish as there are some awesome lakes not too far.

Tman
I have a Tarpon 130T, 13' tandem that I will take him out on. Figured that yak is so stable he should have few worries about dumping and being more experienced I can do all the paddling. I have only fished from shore with him so out of the yak is new to me. I thought with drifting he might get bored but I thought it'd be a fun way to start, low stress and exciting to use live bait. I was going to shout out when I had one too, but I like your advice and will quietly just have him take my rod.

I'm super excited to take him out and just want him to enjoy it as much as possible so he will want to join dad on future trips.

Tman 09-25-2013 10:18 AM

If he does get bored, just give him a live bait and tell him to find the heart...:D

Make sure to bring plenty of juice and snacks too...

BillzBaitz 09-25-2013 03:40 PM

if you are thinking freshwater you can "troll" silverwood for mr stripey. Let youe son hold on to the rod while you padel. Make sure you hade the rod leashed in just in case, there are some bigger models starting to show. You can also flyline chovie chunks around the inlet or in some of the small coves in Chamis Cove.

Another idea is Perris.. You can launch lot 11/12 or sail cove and catch redear or bluegill. Some guys are having really good luck by the docks at the boat launch. throwing crickets or small plastics.. I like to troll an ultra light crank around the shoreline.. When those bad boys hit that little crank its game on, and you can always hook up a lmb doing that.

Samcro 09-25-2013 03:56 PM

King Harbor (Redondo) is a very good spot. I have been fishing just outside the harbor and have always found schools of Bonita. You could also target the Kelp Bed just at the tip of the rock jetty's for Calicos and Sandbass. I have had great success with 3/4 and 1oz Kastmers in Blue/Chrome for the Bonita. If you want to target Bonita, just paddle out until you are halfway in between the Red Bouy (with all the seadogs) and the mouth of the harbor. Boat traffic is a concern on the weekends. Good Luck.

tacmik 09-25-2013 04:12 PM

My vote is a freshwater lake. He can catch bluegills or crappie and will have a blast if you find where they are holding. Important thing is that he catches something and has a great time.

StinkyMatt 09-25-2013 04:26 PM

I take my son out on the tendem.

He is 7, been going out for a couple of years now.

Bring snacks, drinks, lots of sunblock...put on at the launch.

Go inside Newport and fish Mack's and whatever else bites. You take one of whatever you catch and take it home to fillet.

It does not matter where that one bass or Mack came from, you ain't gonna die. To the kid he will take one bite of it and think its the best fish on earth, his fish!

Fishing deep like in Redondo is a little bit of a pain in the ass for a kid to be cranking on deep rockfish.

Newport or Cabrillo. Protected and you got live bait. Kids love sardines.

In Newport you guys can land at the little beach on the south side right before the jetty, cool place to hang out.

Have fun, post up.

LawDog 09-26-2013 06:21 AM

I definatley recommend freshwater to cut his teeth. Bass crappie bluegill and trout would be very exciting for him. I would worry about bycatch in the ocean, and it is just complicated for a 6yo. Plus on a lake, with you sitting, he can stand and fish all he wants.