Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   DMV Kayak Renewal Registration (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19890)

Devildawgjj 10-24-2013 03:12 PM

DMV Kayak Renewal Registration

I sold my Kayak....last year, I think....it's been so long. I registered it as a vessel, because I put a motor on it. I just received letter for renewal from the DMV. I'm not going to pay the $36 nor submit a PNO, because I don't have it.

The other option is to submit a NRL (Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability). However, they want name, address, etc,. And they want it within 5 days of transfer. I don't know nor have any of this information, because I sold the "vessel" as a KAYAK.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to proceed? I feel that I just opened a can of worms for subjecting myself to govt. bureaucracy when I registered it and we all know that the DMV lacks any common sense; that's why they listed the vessel type as KAYACK" :doh:

tacmik 10-24-2013 03:50 PM

Drop the notice in the circular file. They (dmv) is so screwed up, it will probably be years before they come after you. Then you just tell them you submitted all the paperwork in their time frame and they must have lost it like they do a lot of their stuff. Now I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Motel once. the writer of this post accepts no liability as to the accuracy of statements made. It is the end user that accepts all liability for actions performed.

Devildawgjj 10-24-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacmik (Post 173089)
Drop the notice in the circular file. They (dmv) is so screwed up, it will probably be years before they come after you. Then you just tell them you submitted all the paperwork in their time frame and they must have lost it like they do a lot of their stuff. Now I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Motel once. the writer of this post accepts no liability as to the accuracy of statements made. It is the end user that accepts all liability for actions performed.

That was my first instinct....but they would probably hold registration on my other vehicles or get a letter from the state comptroller demanding payment. :mad:

alanw 10-24-2013 05:17 PM

I would probably not pay (that unregisters it), and if I was worried about it I'd report it to them as lost, destroyed, or abandoned.

Edit: found this at the DMV site: You may put "unknown" in the new buyer's name and address fields on the NRL form

Devildawgjj 10-24-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 173100)
I would probably not pay (that unregisters it), and if I was worried about it I'd report it to them as lost, destroyed, or abandoned.

Edit: found this at the DMV site: You may put "unknown" in the new buyer's name and address fields on the NRL form

Done! Thanks ALL!!

Fish Taco 10-24-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 173100)

Thanks for sharing this bit of info... as one day, I too may run into the same problem. I just moved here from NY and have a motorized kayak (BassYaks motor) and it is still registered in NY. I've yet to go down to the DMV and re-register it here in CA... just had too many other things to deal with right now that take precedence. I'm dreading it actually. Everytime I deal with the DMV, it's always something. The NY DMV was no better than CA DMV either... trust me... there are idiots on both coasts! ...lol

- Ken

DanaPT 10-24-2013 06:48 PM

not saying it is right but I was operating a motorized kayak w/o CF#s for a couple of years w/o incident.

This is small stuff. they've got bigger fish to fry.

Redeyejedi 10-25-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 173103)
not saying it is right but I was operating a motorized kayak w/o CF#s for a couple of years w/o incident.

This is small stuff. they've got bigger fish to fry.

they do indeed, but with states in financial doodoo, any excuse to issue citations...any at all....btw....quota week out there in the west la areas....they are out in full.

StinkyMatt 10-25-2013 03:51 PM

Don't register it. Waste of time.

Don't go making figure eights in the middle of the harbor with an unregistered 50 hp merc.

You in a yak having an electric .......

Don't over complicate your life.

:D