Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SI 3/31 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21490)

janines.fishtales@cox.net 03-31-2014 07:40 PM

SI 3/31

Wow. So I worked hard today at SI. Launched from Kellogg, on the water by 0700. Awesome. Got to hear Reveille (sp?) and the Star-Spangled Banner (always love that in the morning, peddling out to the bait receiver, a good cup of French Roast...). Got some great bait finally. Watched the tug boats pull portions of the bait barge across the Big Bay, but was there in time to get some beautiful sardines... Sounds perfect doesn't it? Oh well. 6 hours on the water for one little spottie and an 18" 'but... Still, I wasn't working...

J

Amish Ed 03-31-2014 08:25 PM

Definitely better than working. How was the water temp? It rolled in Newport.

Carp 03-31-2014 09:49 PM

Sounds like an awesome morning! I use to dread reveille when I was in. Now I have It as my alarm. Colors was always awesome (except when we had a ton of foreign ships in)

todd one 03-31-2014 11:50 PM

Saw you on the way out there. I didn't know it was you from where I was.

joezee1986 04-01-2014 06:05 AM

Orange Kayak Janine? I seen you out there I was with Todd as well and don't feel to bad started across the SI launch ramp by the hangers drifted all the way to the end of the jetty to get one spotty as well and nada the rest of the day launched at 830 in by 630

makobob 04-01-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joezee1986 (Post 188606)
Orange Kayak Janine? I seen you out there I was with Todd as well and don't feel to bad started across the SI launch ramp by the hangers drifted all the way to the end of the jetty to get one spotty as well and nada the rest of the day launched at 830 in by 630

The lull before the storm, the fish know it is coming. Most times the bite shuts down.

janines.fishtales@cox.net 04-01-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amish Ed (Post 188586)

Hi Ed. I wish I could tell you. My FF has not worked correctly(or at all really) since I bought it. If it was accurate at all, it read about 65,66 mostly.

janines.fishtales@cox.net 04-01-2014 10:29 AM

Yes it was an awesome morning. Got really windy in the afternoon though. I saw someone in a dune or sand colored kayak who was wondering if the bait receiver will still up and running. Was that one of you guys? Todd I did not see you. Always come say hi! As far as what you say Mako, I think fishing (and catching!) goes in mystic cycles. The Halibut Gods have been so good to me in SD Bay, both last year and this year so far! I think right now they are just putting me in my place so I don't get a big head. It's working!
:farmer:
Janine

todd one 04-01-2014 11:49 AM

We passed by you in the distance about 9:00. We didn't even think about the barge moving yesterday. We didn't know yesterday was the day until we got to the barge. The bay should really open up in another month or so for halibut. Just be patient. You'll be slaying'em real soon here.

makobob 04-01-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net (Post 188647)
Yes it was an awesome morning. Got really windy in the afternoon though. I saw someone in a dune or sand colored kayak who was wondering if the bait receiver will still up and running. Was that one of you guys? Todd I did not see you. Always come say hi! As far as what you say Mako, I think fishing (and catching!) goes in mystic cycles. The Halibut Gods have been so good to me in SD Bay, both last year and this year so far! I think right now they are just putting me in my place so I don't get a big head. It's working!
:farmer:
Janine

Mermaid, mystic? How about karma, life got in the way for your Baja trip, and everyone else caught YOUR fish. Next couple of weeks should get better in the big bay.

Linglifter 04-01-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amish Ed (Post 188586)

Mine was reading 63.4 yesterday. the wind picked up pretty good about 2 pm got one nice sculpin. 4 hrs total on the water.

janines.fishtales@cox.net 04-01-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linglifter (Post 188682)
Mine was reading 63.4 yesterday. the wind picked up pretty good about 2 pm got one nice sculpin. 4 hrs total on the water.

I really think the sculpin is one of the best eating fish. I love em!

J

straightrod 04-21-2014 02:50 PM

^ Absolutely agree. First time I had them was in Baja. Half Moons are also tasty.