Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone got a KC welder they're willing to lend? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=23646)

pbb 10-18-2014 10:19 AM

Anyone got a KC welder they're willing to lend?

I've got a used (former rental) Kona tandem that I picked up for the family to use in the bays.

It's got some cracks on the deck that I want to fix.

Can anyone lend me a KC welder? I'm looking to avoid sinking much money into repairs.

Or if you have any advice about using a heat gun for repairs. I'm going to be looking into a reducing nozzle for the heat gun I have access to. Most of the cracks are in the bottom of "valleys" to drain areas, which means that a "wide angle" heat gun would probably melt the ridges on either side before the crack at the bottom got hot enough to melt.

Also thoughts about sources of HDPE. The brand new Hobie KC Welder kits have only the current colors. This Kona is "white granite," which Hobie discontinued. So even if I wanted to put down $65 for a new KC welder, I would only get mis-matched plastic.

It seems like "natural" HDPE would match better than Hobie "Ivory Dune." (I put in an inquiry to Hobie). But I might try to get some HDPE rod from a plastic supplier, or cut some slivers from a cutting board. Or what about a thick HDPE detergent bottle? Any experience out there in DIY land?

ctfphoto 10-18-2014 01:27 PM

I fixed a leak on my kayak by plastic welding with a soldering iron and folders coffee can plastic (RED)

I built up about 3/4 of an inch on top of the leak.

Really easy.

Zed 10-18-2014 01:32 PM

Keep it real. Recycle a milk jug. Back to its roots.

tacmik 10-18-2014 01:54 PM

Check with OEX. They often have scraps of plastic from various kayaks that they are working on. Might be able to find a match.

Hunters Pa 10-18-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfphoto (Post 209262)
I fixed a leak on my kayak by plastic welding with a soldering iron and folders coffee can plastic (RED)

I built up about 3/4 of an inch on top of the leak.

Really easy.

Yep, I use a soldering iron and zip ties for material. They come in a variety of colors that will come close

MITCHELL 10-19-2014 08:51 AM

I had a leak in my kayak in the scupper hole failed a couple of times at trying to patch it.Then bought a plastic weld kit for under $20 at harbor fright and now I'm bone dry happy:)

beardedguy 10-19-2014 04:20 PM

Yep,

Harbor freight.
I picked a picked up a plastic welding iron for 17 bucks.
You can use any plastic container that has the recycle emblem
on it. I've used milk jugs, zip ties. Anything that kind of match's
the color.