Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fish finder or rudder kit ? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24191)

yak-fishing-socal 12-27-2014 11:26 PM

Fish finder or rudder kit ?

So after Christmas I have some gift cards I need to use and was thinking witch one I should get first as I would Like to get both of them but there will be a good amount of time before I can get the other.

So its either Lowrance 000-11216-001 Elite-4 HDI Chartplotter/Fishfinder

Or should I get a rudder kit for my ocean kayak Trident 15?

GregAndrew 12-28-2014 04:20 AM

That is easy, and most will agree that, a fishfinder is way more useful than a rudder. Now model and brand will be open to interpretation and taste. Color screen and gps are prob the 2 most important considerations to keep you from needing an upgrade soon.

crazywakeboarder 12-28-2014 05:17 AM

are you out there to kayak or are you out there to fish?

For kayaking id go with the rudder.
If your out there to fish then get a fish finder!

yak-fishing-socal 12-28-2014 06:35 AM

@craywakeboarder i really enjoy both some times I'll leave my gear at home and just go for a paddle

Amish Ed 12-28-2014 06:36 AM

That's an easy one. Fish Finder! As far as I'm concerned the rudder is nice to have, but the FF is essential.

Hunters Pa 12-28-2014 07:34 AM

Ff. I had a prowler 15 and now have a trident 15. Neither had a rudder. Both track really well for me. Get the fish finder

taggermike 12-28-2014 08:53 AM

I've been paddling a Prowler 15 for over a decade and I wished I had a rudder only hand full of times. Rudders help on windy days or paddling straight down swell; a fish finder will help you every time you're time your fishing. I'll second Hunters Pa, the prowler and trident are great tracking kayaks. Go FF. Mike

Iceman 12-28-2014 09:04 AM

Fish finder and rudder are both good tools, fish finder more for the fisherman, rudder more for the paddler, so fish finder gets my vote too.

yak-fishing-socal 12-28-2014 09:40 AM

Looks like my Trident 15 is going to have to wait a bit Long for that rudder kit..thanks for the input everyone

FISH11 12-28-2014 09:29 PM

I also think it's simple. Get the fish finder. It is much more useful to find structure and bait. A rudder just means no having to paddle once in a while twice on the same side to make small corrections on your course, that seems so minimal in comparison to fishing blind.

Cadillyak 12-29-2014 09:42 AM

Just beating a dead horse, but FF all the way. Fishing blind sucks, but I can't find the fish with a FF, so I guess I fish blind all the time.:o

yak-fishing-socal 12-29-2014 10:17 AM

Pulled the trigger today got a great price on it. can't wait to rig it up but dang that transducer looks huge http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...62a027a23e.jpg

So they called me saying the price match was off a little looks like I only got 70 off instead of the 78...still a great price I think
So total was 228

yak-fishing-socal 12-30-2014 05:44 AM

Oh dang I just looked into getting another one for my friend and they took down that model must have gotten to much of a savings

mclanea 12-31-2014 10:49 AM

I have the Trident 13 with the rudder kit. Compared to my Prowler 13 without the rudder) The rudder helps quite a bit when fishing. Specifically, and it might be related to the hull too I suppose, but I both drift less and can control the way my yak drifts hands free with the rudder. So I end up paddling a lot less having a rudder and casting more.

For general kayaking, which we do a lot, I prefer the rudder because I'm used to it. But I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Having just gotten a FF for Christmas though, I'm thinking the FF is probably a "first" on your list. Even just knowing the water depth is great.

Aznronin 12-31-2014 03:41 PM

I've been Kayakfishing out here for a long time and I have been through many kayaks and the one thing I know for sure is that a rudder is not necessary in SoCal. It adds weight. It's just another thing that can break. Depending on how you have your rudder pedals adjusted it will mean your probably the only one that will feel comfortable in your kayak and when you want to sell it, it's hard to sell it to someone who is shorter or taller than you. After a decade of modding my kayaks I would just keep the kayak simple and light as possible and invest in a good fishfinder.