Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Picking a new kayak (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24894)

Kaleb 03-15-2015 12:54 PM

Picking a new kayak

Kind of torn in my decisions right now. I primarily want to do kelp and YT fishing in La Jolla although I do a lot of bay fishing now. My previous kayak was a Native watercraft Mantaray 12 I liked it, only problems were weight capacity and stability. I'm really looking into the x factor because it easily solves both of those problems + it's cheap and I can get a fully rigged, paddle, seat, anchor, bait tank and fish finder ETC. For about 1k with. I have also tried the wilderness systems ride 135 and liked that one a lot. A little more expensive then the x factor. The last option is save up about 400-500 more and get an out back? What do you guys recommend?

corpsmanusn2001 03-15-2015 01:01 PM

Outback. You won't regret saving/spending the extra cheese. I am really impressed with mine after switching from an Ocean Kayak. Most will get the job done but the convenience, capacity, maneuverability, and the rest of the Hobie features can't be beat in my opinion.

YakDout 03-15-2015 01:07 PM

If you have never used a mirage drive, you probably should before you make your decision. I have a good feeling this test drive will alter your decision.

solyluna 03-15-2015 01:20 PM

Xfactor great rig just really heavy and slow

Kaleb 03-15-2015 01:23 PM

Haha, ok im gonna head down to hobie right now, I tested the others at OEX Yesterday. I'm sure test paddling a kayak is different once you load it up with gear though. I've heard they sometimes paddle better.

YakDout 03-15-2015 01:45 PM

Not sure if hobie will have a place for you to test ride. They are a couple miles inland in a business park area. You may have to go back to an OEX. But I could be wrong.

spyakker 03-15-2015 01:51 PM

I got an hobie revo and don't regret it one bit. Went a little over my budget, but worth getting it because I love that I am able to fish and cover ground at the same time. There are guys who love paddling and nothing against that, but I prefer the mirage drive.

easyday 03-15-2015 02:00 PM

Wilderness systems thresher such an awesome setup

monstahfish 03-15-2015 02:04 PM

I hurt my shoulder yesterday but depending on what the doc says I might be able to get you out on an outback sometime soon.

TJones 03-15-2015 02:09 PM

Coming from an old man

Quote:

Originally Posted by solyluna (Post 221791)
Xfactor great rig just really heavy and slow

:boxing_smiley:

FISH11 03-15-2015 02:30 PM

The X Factor might seem like it paddles slow but heavy, that is a big laugh. Especially coming from a Hobie owner. The X Factor only weighs 62lb. For a super stable kayak with 33" in width and 525 to 600 lb weight capacity depending on the year model, that can't be beat. I have paddled out there with a lot of other different kayaks and even hobies. I haven't had any problem staying up with most, except some longer sleeker hulls being paddled by guys half my age. Also you could buy two for the price of one of those others. Try going through the kelp forest in a hobie when it grows back now that lobster season ended. First you'll need to buy a quality paddle because that piece of shit paddle that hobie gives you is guaranteed to break and the mirage drive is useless in the kelp.

ctfphoto 03-15-2015 02:37 PM

I paddled and fished a wildnerness systems for almost 4 years until a few days ago and absolutely loved it.

I checked out the new 2015 Outback a week ago.

I now own one and think it is the perfect upgrade for me.

Kaleb 03-15-2015 04:20 PM

Damn whoever told me to go try the outback, I love it ='( $$$$

Kaleb 03-15-2015 04:21 PM

I got to try it out over at Dana, Thanks again for saving me my first time out Monstahfish!

ful-rac 03-15-2015 04:28 PM

I guess hobies aren't pieces of shit after all...;)

captnblood34 03-15-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfphoto (Post 221802)
I paddled and fished a wildnerness systems for almost 4 years until a few days ago and absolutely loved it.

I checked out the new 2015 Outback a week ago.

I now own one and think it is the perfect upgrade for me.

I remember it well

makobob 03-15-2015 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 221808)
I guess hobies aren't pieces of shit after all...;)

This coming from a guy who keeps breaking his drive. Tony have you tried the new drives, they ARE nice.

ful-rac 03-15-2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 221827)
This coming from a guy who keeps breaking his drive. Tony have you tried the new drives, they ARE nice.

The last time my drive broke was down in baja last year at your place...they haven't failed me since...I don't know about keeps breaking bob...yes I have the new drive, it is very nice.

YakDout 03-15-2015 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaleb (Post 221806)
Damn whoever told me to go try the outback, I love it ='( $$$$

Sorry about that, but wouldn't you rather not spend the money on an upgrade soon down the road? I say wait a little if you have to, and do it right the first time. Saves you money in the long run. As long as you know this sport is for you!

CR Yaker 03-15-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 221830)
The last time my drive broke was down in baja last year at your place...they haven't failed me since...I don't know about keeps breaking bob...yes I have the new drive, it is very nice.

The 2013 drive shafts we're notorious for breaking, faulty manufacturing. We broke many here in CR. Since the summer of 2014, Hobie has solved the issues and in fact improved upon quality. I have yet to break a 2014 shaft or for that matter my 2012 set.