Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A question about bait (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25361)

beardedguy 04-24-2015 06:20 AM

A question about bait

At the HOW tournament they said the Chuck W had caught
his halibut on mackerel. Where would you catch mackerel in
the bay? Can you get them with a sabiki around the bait barge.

Thanks for any help, Rich

Dannowar 04-24-2015 10:10 AM

Macs mixed in with the sardines every time I've gotten bait

skrilla 04-24-2015 02:12 PM

Depends on what the tide brings along with it. I've seen everything from one massive school of dines and macks fill the enitre Quivira Basin, Bonita Cove, all the way to W. Mission Bay bridge to a complete desert. Or you can also just buy it at the barge.

StinkyMatt 04-24-2015 04:02 PM

Chuck's bait was obtained in a very shady manner....

He has been under the scrutiny of the tournament directors across the nation.

I think he should be stripped of all winnings and a little star needs to appear next to his name!

Chuck, you have no shame.

:D

FISH11 04-24-2015 07:27 PM

During the HOW tournament I tried a lot of areas and ended up in the jetty just past the bend and before the first of the 5mph buoys. I was drifting in the channel using one of your blade you gave me some time ago with a Z Man Paddler Z in pearl attached and happened to catch a 9" greenback mac. I was surprised because that is what I usually catch and use for bait at La Jolla.

Diaboluz 04-24-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 226189)
Chuck's bait was obtained in a very shady manner....

He has been under the scrutiny of the tournament directors across the nation.

I think he should be stripped of all winnings and a little star needs to appear next to his name!

Chuck, you have no shame.

What did chuck do that was so bad?

StinkyMatt 04-24-2015 10:22 PM

Dude,

Just bustin Chuck's balls.

Just glad he beat Tony!

Chuck is a great guy. (He says). :eek:

jorluivil 04-24-2015 10:42 PM

I made about a handle of macs, the first few were caught by dragging a sabiki with cut up pieces of dead mac skin. You can usually drag you sabiki around and something will hit it.

bmercury 04-24-2015 10:49 PM

best bet for macs is buying them from the bait barge. Almost all of the macs I have caught in the bay have been at night or right before/around sunset.

Never know when they will show up though.

sdcoastie 04-25-2015 12:54 AM

Fished the bait barge last week with my girl and her family. They just wanted fish on the line. Every cast was bringing in some decent macs. Until the sea dogs caught wind and started munching on anything we caught and brought towards the boat.