Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What is the best yak for San Diego Salt??? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25689)

TNelson82 05-30-2015 06:24 PM

What is the best yak for San Diego Salt???

Just found out that I'm am moving to SD this winter. I have been fishing out of Virginia the last few years. I am in the market for a new yak and I am looking for some input on what you guys are using out there. I just sold my Tarpon 140 and have been looking at the WS ATAK, the WS Thresher and the Jackson Kraken. I don't want to buy another rig when I get out there. So what is the best yak for SD Salt??? Thanks!

yak-fishing-socal 05-30-2015 07:07 PM

Thrasher or the Kraken couldn't go wrong great open water yaks

captnblood34 05-30-2015 07:11 PM

Stick with WS. The ATAK has features that I feel prove worthy in fresh or non chop waters. The Thresher has a sick FF/ducer mount. That would be my next rig after my son grows into my tarpon 120. My .02

J

tacmik 05-30-2015 07:12 PM

Any of those will work. It will come down to personal choice as they are all great yaks. My preference is the Thresher, but again it's what you prefer. Look forward to seeing you out on the water when you get here.

alanw 05-30-2015 07:20 PM

I don't think either would be a bad choice. That FF pod in the WS is pretty sweet. I've been looking at the Kraken for my next yak, some good reviews around and the speed looks to be a huge upgrade over most yaks out there, especially over my barge.

kauaiboy04 05-30-2015 08:10 PM

As said before, it truly is a personal preference thing. Like to peddle, or paddle? Stability or speed? I'd highly recommend test paddling a few of them. Go check out OEX in Mission Bay, they've got a to of kayaks you can demo.

FISH11 05-30-2015 09:05 PM

Either one would be the latest to come from their manufacturer and both are for open water. Like Justin said above test them both out and pick your favorite. Good Luck

Rufus 05-31-2015 08:35 AM

I must step up to the plate.....if you want to seriously fish the salt, buy a Hobie Outback or PA.

Doubt me? Go down to Shelter Island or La Jolla Shores and keep count of the yacks used by the guys who are fishing.

Big hug to my paddle brothers out there. Yes, I have an X-Factor.

it sits, well used, in the rafters of my garage where it's been for four years.

5-20 05-31-2015 11:12 AM

Welcome to the area dude, I grew up to northern va.

I bought a XFactor when I moved here, thinking I'd enjoy the workout involved in paddling, but oh boy, I have to admit that I'm now kind of jealous of my buddies who have a hobie outback or PA14 and I've been thinking about getting either yak for a while. It's just so much easier to multitask and stay on a spot when you have your hands free.

Do a bit of research (tons of threads about paddle v. pedal yaks on this site and others) before demoing and buying.

easyday 05-31-2015 01:28 PM

I love my thresher 155. Best bet go to OEX and try a bunch out, decide for yourself.

TNelson82 06-01-2015 03:57 PM

Thanks for the inputs. I am definately a paddle guy. The Hobies are sweet but I really enjoy paddling, so they are not for me. I gotta demo the thresher and the kraken. The major thing for me is that I will be buying one here in Virginia and won't be headed out your way till Feb. I have no clue what the conditions are like out there. Anyone try standing in either of these? I wish they would put the Ride seat in the thresher, I would buy it in a heartbeat if that was the case.