Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Jim Rig...Secrets Revealed (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25850)

Deamon 06-14-2015 03:53 PM

Jim Rig...Secrets Revealed

2 Attachment(s)
Okay...perfect timing to offer my 3rd of a series...Jim Rig secret #3...the Jim Rig, Money Saving Tip:

Most of you know "the sound"...you know, the dreaded ploop ploop. You hear it, look right at the sound's origin and you see your rod sinking out...a real bummer. For most of us yakkers, it's not a matter of if it happens, it's more like when it happens. Well, I'll man up and admit I'm at about four or five rods and reels to date. And yes...it happened again today at 70 feet. The old hip adjustment during a two rod tangle and...ploop ploop. Dammit! But I'm a veteran at this game!!!
BAM...man overboard button gets hit immediately on the fish finder...position saved!!!
I then pull out some parts and go to work...
(1) rod and reel
(1) Squid Rig
(3) 8-10 oz torpedo sinkers
(1) Megabait
(1) 2/0 treble hook
(3) Swivels
Improvise these up into a snag rigging machine...
Peddle 100 yards back to my gps location and go to work...trawling for my rig!
BAM! 2nd attempt and the heavy reeling up confirms my hope and gives my combo back. $300 saved!

I've added a photo of my catch to make this a true fishing report. Until next time!

Jim

GregAndrew 06-14-2015 04:41 PM

Wow, great to get your gameclip back! Too bad it had all that brown crap all over it.

YakDout 06-14-2015 05:46 PM

Jim rig, or jimmy rigged? double or nothing you can do that again.

StinkyMatt 06-14-2015 06:01 PM

Is it legal to have all these hooks....?

:rolleyes:

Some guys have no regard for the law, trawling ...........

:rolleyes:

Some guys!

Yes, I'm still mad at you Jim......my "care package" of YT fillets never arrived!:D

AirborneYak 06-14-2015 06:02 PM

Nice save!!!

Caden 06-14-2015 06:09 PM

Good chit Jim

makobob 06-14-2015 06:19 PM

Shagging BUTT or snagging butt? Nice save.

Cadillyak 06-14-2015 06:40 PM

That looks a lot like your yellowtail rig. Glad u got your setup back! I need to get familiar with the Man overboard button.

theluckypig 06-14-2015 06:50 PM

:cheers1:

Deamon 06-15-2015 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 230430)
Jim rig, or jimmy rigged? double or nothing you can do that again.

I knew I forgot something...my disclaimer: This tip is not intended for experts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 230434)

Some guys have no regard for the law, trawling ...........

Matt, if your rod drops into the hole while ice fishing, you're still in luck...get a chainsaw, cut out and remove 1'X10' strips of ice making a cross or tee pattern. When finished, drag/trawl the Jimmy Rig until you retrieve your frozen rod. Three extra tips for you my friend:

#1- Ask your son to cut ice and trawl rig...you're over the weight bearing limit pal...
#2- You won't find this squid rig at Vermont Bait and Tackle (open 24/7) but you can purchase the squid rig via internet at BigWatersEdge.com
#3- Your mailman keeps sending me Thank You postcards along with photos of your wife (some scantily clothed!). I think he's taking the fish I've been shipping out to you...? Can you please look into that for me? He signs the postcard "Sancho".

Jim

cell128 06-15-2015 05:15 AM

Wish I would of had the same luck with my avet sx sitting at Newport in only 22ft of water

driftwood 06-15-2015 05:47 AM

Great tip Jim!!

I've had that...."my heart will go on" sinking feeling song play 4 times.

NOOOOOO!!!! ploop ploop :eek:

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/...am-titanic.gif

Caseym 06-15-2015 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cell128 (Post 230469)
Wish I would of had the same luck with my avet sx sitting at Newport in only 22ft of water

Jeez, id go back and drag the bottom for that one. Unless you were near the Ferry or the pavilion.

cell128 06-15-2015 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseym (Post 230471)
Jeez, id go back and drag the bottom for that one. Unless you were near the Ferry or the pavilion.

I tried a couple of times zig zagged the whole area I'm sure ts gone now... It's been months. Replaced it with a mjx 2 speed and just added another jx 2 speed though. Caught a nice yellow on the jx last week at the 150. Poor fish didn't stand a chance