Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Grunion Run (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=3567)

TheSherThang 07-02-2008 02:27 PM

Grunion Run

Looking to go on a Grunion Run this weekend. Know any beaches that open late enough for that? I know LA County Beaches close at 10pm.

esdees 07-02-2008 02:45 PM

I've seen good runs at Ocean Beach (San Diego). As far as I know, most beaches in SD don't close at night.

cameron2007 07-02-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esdees (Post 26322)
I've seen good runs at Ocean Beach (San Diego). As far as I know, most beaches in SD don't close at night.

no la jolla gets closed at 10:00

esdees 07-03-2008 05:24 PM

What do you mean by "closed"? I've launched and landed there after ten without any problems. Is it posted? I must admit, I don't read the signs that are at the entrance. Regardless, you can't collect grunions or do any other type of fishing there at any time.

Willy 07-03-2008 07:15 PM

I have gone to the beaches in Pacific beach, and the beach just north of the Mission Bay jetty. The parking lot there, at the jetty, closes at ten, but you can walk out onto the beach and park on the street outside the gate. That is where I have seen the best Grunion Runs. Bring a flashlight.

Willy

Vikingj 07-03-2008 08:20 PM

Doheny Beach at the base of the breakwater is always a productive spot with nearby metered parking. It "officially" closes ( I think 10PM is posted?) but grunion hunters are allowed after hours. I've asked county sheriff and state park rangers about hours and been told that late hrs on grunion nights are not enforced as long as you are not loud or disruptive. I've been there several times and once was approached by a polite DFG to check for license. Good luck.

cameron2007 07-03-2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esdees (Post 26367)
What do you mean by "closed"? I've launched and landed there after ten without any problems. Is it posted? I must admit, I don't read the signs that are at the entrance. Regardless, you can't collect grunions or do any other type of fishing there at any time.

last time my fanily went to lajolla for the grunion run @ ten the cops came and started giving tickets so youre sadly mistaken

sdcityboy 07-03-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameron2007 (Post 26386)
last time my fanily went to lajolla for the grunion run @ ten the cops came and started giving tickets so youre sadly mistaken

tickets for being on the beach? or are you talking about parking in the lot?:rolleyes: regardless you can't grunion hunt at la jolla shores!

ibbeerbum 07-04-2008 04:34 AM

I live down in Imperial Beach there is no problem down here or on the silver strand state beach.

esdees 07-04-2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameron2007 (Post 26386)

Lame!

quietman 07-06-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingj (Post 26381)
Doheny Beach at the base of the breakwater is always a productive spot with nearby metered parking. It "officially" closes ( I think 10PM is posted?) but grunion hunters are allowed after hours. I've asked county sheriff and state park rangers about hours and been told that late hrs on grunion nights are not enforced as long as you are not loud or disruptive. I've been there several times and once was approached by a polite DFG to check for license. Good luck.

Yep.

I have caught lotsa grunion there, great spot, and the cops/dfg are cool.

Back five or so years ago yani would float around out there in a shark donut and I would yak it up for whatever would bite.

We never did that well.

But always had a good time...

JR

cameron2007 07-07-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdcityboy (Post 26388)
tickets for being on the beach? or are you talking about parking in the lot?:rolleyes: regardless you can't grunion hunt at la jolla shores!

yeah we wernt hunting them we just wanted to see them

One Rev 07-07-2008 01:23 PM

That is very strange. I would have to have some official word about walking on the beach after 10pm. If that's the case then shut down them tourist staying at the lodge because they are out after 10 on the beach. I know they can close the gates to the parking lot but not the street. Like I said, I just don't see how they can enforce something like that.

Mike R