View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Nothing like lots, and lots of time on the water. Experience is the best teacher, unless you have an experienced teacher. No matter how much reading or asking one may do, the only way to truly understand the plug is to fish with it a lot! It is not going to happen in one day. It takes a long time to understand all of the ins and outs of the holy iron. From picking the rod, the reel, the line, THE JIG, understanding yellowtail behavior, leading fish, casting etc. Take lots of time out of your schedule to dedicate your time or have an expert take the time with you and show you. The latter can save you many, many years of figuring it all out. I do encourage it though! I had to do it all on my own, asked lots of questions, listened and tried several times, most times failing. It is a whole other world from using jig sticks off boats (as I found out), keep at it you may become obsessed for life. I have been living for the jig ever since I picked up one as a little boat brat. Enjoy spending hundreds of dollars for this technique. LOL JK
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote