View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
I haven't ever caught anything on a lizard, nice job...
PS sculpin danger is over rated unless you are allergic...but I would want to find out the hard way...lol
I'd disagree, and I'm not allergic.
Perhaps you've only been grazed by the spines. I've been grazed, probably twice, it hurts, but it is tolerable. Then I've been stuck twice, 1st time fishing Horseshoe Kelp, where the partyboat had stocked up on rattlesnakes before fishing surface again. I found the only good sized bait of the day in the tank, dropped it near the gunny sacks, went to retrieve it, and got stuck hard. I knew right away what stuck me, but I'd never been stuck before. Within 5 minutes my hand blew up like a balloon, throbbed intensely with every heart beat, and hurt like a mother. I used to be prone to seasickness, but would always fish to keep my mind off of it. This pain was so intense, it was the only time I'd ever stopped fishing, when possible to do so. I only eat between boat movements
I also got stuck pretty good, the 1st year on the kayak, in Mission Bay. He got me in the hand, while I was contemplating keeping him. Pretty much ended our day, painful and throbbing the whole paddle back to Dana Landing.
I also got stuck pretty bad in the foot by a stingray, while surf fishing off of Torrey Pines, every bit as intense, maybe even more so, than the 1st Sculpin to stick me. The pain increased the whole time, until I put the foot in a pot of hot water. Also, I think part of the barb was left in me. I had pain and swelling for at least a week.
Hot water as hard as you can stand it, is the best relief when stuck by either a Sculpin or Stingray. You'll feel like you've left hell and at least made it to purgatory.