View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
SquidJig

I was surprised at all the talk about not fishing north of Scripps Pier after Jan. 1st so I looked it up. Here's the info from the DFG's website.

Boundary: This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight lines connecting the following points in the order listed:
32° 53.000' N. lat. 117° 15.166' W. long.;
32° 53.000' N. lat. 117° 16.400' W. long.;
32° 51.964' N. lat. 117° 16.400' W. long.; and
32° 51.964' N. lat. 117° 15.233' W. long.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except the recreational take of coastal pelagic species, except market squid, by hook-and-line only, and take pursuant to operation and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area per any required federal, state and local permits, or as otherwise authorized by the department.
Licensees of the Regents of the University of California and all officers, employees, and students of such university may take, for scientific purposes, invertebrates, fish, or specimens of marine plant or algae under the conditions prescribed in a scientific collecting permit issued by the department.

Coastal pelagic species, as defined for purposes of MPA regulations, include the following: northern anchovy (Engraulis mordax), Pacific sardine (Sardinops sagax), Pacific mackerel (Scomber japonicus), jack mackerel (Trachurus symmetricus) and market squid (Loligo opalescens).

I was confused about the difference between Pelagic and Coastal Pelagic species. So, if I'm not misinterpreting the language, the bottom line is we can still make bait by and north of the pier, except for squid, but everything else is off limits. Bummer.

If I'm still getting this wrong, please correct me.
SquidJig is offline   Reply With Quote