View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
sasha

Actualy you dont need so much to balance the shaft as to make sure its perfectly stright. When I had my own auto shop one of the guys had a K5 blazer. With 48in tires on it. He twisted some shafts and broke both front and rear ends. Every time he send for a shaft to be build they never lasted as the welds sucked. Yes we send them to the best shops that everyone seems to rave about. Talked to a a very old timer that used to build race cars in the 50s. He said as long as the shaft is stright you dont need to balance it as its diameter is too small. For the next build we got front and rear ends off a 3 ton chevy truck. We needed 4 guys just to get each one off the delivery truck. Found a pipe where both ends of the shaft would fit snag. cut a window in it. Using an arc welder we welded both ends togher. Joel been driving that K5 for 7 years now with out a single problem. Heck he span the tires from stand still. Jim i seen some pics you posted of the welds you done. Trust me you would do a 10 times better job then any shop would.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote