View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
yakman619
HMFIC

Yeah..they were coming clear out of the water, and they were going ape shit.They would boil for a good minute, dissapear, I'd see them pass under my fishfinder (they were huge), then boil again further down 5 minutes later, Wish I could tell you guys what they were or describe them a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Bonito have been scarce the last few years but they do get all the way down in to the J St. boat basin. I saw a few spots of small ones boiling in the channel a few months ago and I have caught decent bonito, 5lbs or so, in the basin over the years. I've seen the bones go so crazy in there that they were pushing bait right up on to the launch ramp. Last week I did see a few spots of mackeral working bait in the basin between the fishing pier and the first line of boats. Vina are in the basin but when they boil it is kinda slow with just a swirl or deep boil. Macks show little flurries with small spashes. Bones on the other hand really boil, especially the larger ones. If you saw any thing that resembled a tuna foamer with tight areas of working fish, lots of splashing, and even fish coming clear out of the water it was bonito. There are swarms of small, 1-2inch, smelt in the basin right now so the fish you saw might have been targeting them. I don't know if any one fishes the ball and feather but that might be about the only way to match the hatch. Mike
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote