View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
lamb

MB 4/10/07 mid day

Hooked up with Andy on Ski beach around noon to pre-fish MB Bass Tourney. We ran into bass master Will B on the ramp and had a nice chat.

I had to digest all the info, tips and techniques that my good friend Bob unselfishly shared during my 2 hour bass fishing crash course he gave me a couple of days ago. I’ve never been big on bass fishing and bay fishing in general, but I had no idea how clueless I really was. Bob gave me a bunch of lures and specific instructions on how to use them.

With my tackle box full of proven deadly weapons, I hoped the fact that I don’t really know what I’m doing won’t be too relevant.

We put our yaks on the water. 2nd cast and I’m on… Sweeeet…

These spotties really do fight like crazy, I thought. My tiny rod is all bent, the fish is pulling some serious drag, I feel the headshakes.

I bring it to the boat to see an obvious keeper halibut! Dinner written all over it...

I was totally unprepared, I came to catch some bass... No gaff, no game clip, no net… I loosened the drag and tried to grab it for by tail, but the fish freaked out each time I grabbed it… I finally manage to hold on to it the 4th attempt. I pulled him on board and ran a rope through his mouth - game over:

This bass fishing is not bad after all, I thought.

The first few hours were pretty slow. The drift was pretty good, with the descent W/NW wind. I managed one of each type of bass, a few extra spotties on the top, but they were really really tiny:

Then Andy got a nice one…

The matter of fact – that was the smallest fish Andy caught… He was talking about a bet with some guy, an excellent chef… He’ll be coming over to his house to cook for a week after he spanks him on the tourney, something like that… With the way Andy was knocking them dead today, that should be done deal. lol

Around 4:00 PM, it got much more lively. I don’t know if the bite started or I finally got the technique down, but I was getting bit on almost every cast. Again – majority of the fish were small, but I had 2 that would make the scales.

Fun day on the water in the bay... I thought.

Looking forward to see everyone on Saturday.