View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
FISHIONADO

Welcome Andre, if you make it to San Diego send me a message and I'll try to fish with you, would really enjoy visiting Cape Town for the same thing.

Most people here use baitcasting or conventional reels rather than spinning reels. I think it is because of line twist on the spinners and the conventionals have better torque and drag systems. But there are still some folks who slay the fish with spinning reels. I use a cheap spinning reel for my sabiki or bait catcher and conventional for everything else.

I've found that 7' rods work best on my 15' prowler, it's long enough to get the line around the bow and not too long to make it difficult to land fish. Haven't tried two piece rods. I don't take really expensive gear out there, too easy to get dumped and I found the multiple leashes to be a hassle, I prefer to use cheaper stuff and if I lose it I'll only cry for an hour vs all day. I usually take 4 sticks, a spinner set up with a bait catcher sabiki, a baitcaster with 30# mono for casting jigs, and two baitcasters with braid, for live bait one with a 2oz slider or just flylined and one with a heavier weight for keeping live bait on the bottom.

Hope you send us some reports with your local fish, how does GWS taste? Just kidding, I follow the Hawaiian mantra of "I don't eat the shark, he don't eat me".
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote