View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Jonesyak

Becoming discouraged.. need a mentor!

Hello fellow anglers,

I really need some advice -
I know I have been doing this all wrong, but I am not ready to quit.

I have quite a few questions - dilemmas - problems- short comings - and a whole lot more; anyone that is really willing to read and help I cannot even begin to express how much I sincerely appreciate it.

-First off, my situation; I simply love to fish. I have always been passionate about fishing, I started salt water fishing on the west coast from party boats several years ago. Like most people I cannot afford party boats every week.

-My interest in kayak fishing became an addiction before I knew what happened. I got my first yak in December of this year with the intent to get out on the water every weekend, (haha I wish now). This being said I am still very much an armature.

First off what I have:

-Hobie mirage classic with 2 rod holders
-Homemade bait tank and additional 2 rod holders (if I sacrifice my only dry storage)

-Tackle I bring currently = 7' w/ 2 speed and yoyo jig - - and a 8' w/ lead head and plastic grub.
(I could also bring an 8' troller with sabiki rig for making bit if I brought the bait tank)

- No electronics
(Save for a vhs radio I’m not very familiar with)

! SO HERE IS MY DELIEMA !

So far I have successfully launched and landed (without losing gear or dumping) from LJ several times now. I pedal/paddle all the way to what I think the fishing grounds are. I assume this because I see other people with yaks fishing.

Methods I have tried thus far are:
1) Trolling my lead head and 4'' grub about 30 feet behind me (on which I have cought mackerel, kelp, and jelly slime)
2) I also sink it to the bottom at completely random spots for nothing obviously.
3) Lastly, in any random spot that I am still within sight of other kayak anglers fishing I toss my yoyo jig... sometimes just in completely random spots all together.

~QUESTIONS~

Considering I am fishing with no electronics’, and currently no live bait, and I completely wasting my time randomly casting for the long lost yellowtail? Are yoyo and surface irons non-effective when the fish have not been located?

Where exactly are the fishing grounds? I don’t have gps so I cannot tell how far out I am. MLPA laws keep changing so I do my best to stay near other anglers.

Are there any rock fishing spots in LJ? Can they be found without a FF?

-LASTLY-

Basically I LOVE being on the water, every time a go out it is a new adventure. However, I WOULD LIKE TO CATCH A FISH!

If I could afford the time and money to have a master like thedarkhorse teach me I would in a heartbeat. (Someday)

However, if anyone at all has and advice at all on how I may make my trips more successful I would love to talk about it.

ALSO I AM PALNNING TO LAUNCH FROM LA JOLLA SATURDAY MORING - ANYONE WANT TO SHOW ME THE ROPES -PLEASE- ?

Aaron Jones
Jonesa@coyote.csusb.edu

Last edited by Jonesyak; 07-26-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Jonesyak is offline   Reply With Quote