View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitman View Post
This yak begs for a trolling motor. I've installed both the Bassyaks, and Torqeedo motors using foot controls. If you didn't notice that link above, it shows it in action with the Torqeedo.
A sail is nice too ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHucL...ature=youtu.be

Yes the back end is widest ( 34" ), but at the middle ( seat area ) it's much narrower. The hull is more like a flat planning hull you'd see on a SUP. If fact I somewhat copied a Tiva sailboard I used to own that had a concave hull. Then I added the pontoons to mimic the stability of an inflatable Zodiac. The deeper keels of the pontoons are like skegs, giving this great tracking. Even in a strong 15 knot crosswind it doesn't need a rudder.
The distance from keel to keel ( Chine ) is only 25" wide. I'm not a strong paddler, but can avg 3.8 mph cruising speed heading to the Mile bouy. Top end speed for me was 4.5 mph. It's not the fastest out there, but for a fishing kayak with this level of stability it's the fastest. You would have to make a deliberate attempt at flipping this over.
Another Plus,,, You won't throw your back out loading it, at only 61.5 lbs. Even fully rigged with gear; Seat, Bait tank, 12v battery, FF. Gaff etc... I can still pick this up and load it into the back of my truck.

I'm headed to the Central Coast Kayak Fishing( CCKF ) annual tournament on the 22nd. It's near Cambria, a good opportunity to earn WAF points . Cambria is a great little coastal tourist vacation town. If anyone has the time, please come up and say hello. It's about 3 hrs from San Diego. I'd be happy to offer a demo, or even loan you a yak for the event if you want to fish with us.
Another option is the shop in Pismo Beach, Central Coast Kayaks, they have a demo model there and a great location for fishing too.
If time permits,,, I'd recommend stopping at Goleta along the way for an attempt at WSB.
Baitman, I've liked this design since I spotted one of your ads. That's why I posted the inquiry here to get some input. I'm new to this and don't own a kayak right now and wish I was in the position to take you up on your offer. I'll contact as soon as I can afford to buy my new kayak.
I really thing the overall design and the hull design lend itself very well to comfort and safety for a fishing platform. I'm to old to be in a hurry, If I was I'd buy a power boat.

Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote