Thread: La Jolla 9-18
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Sdmatt
Junior

La Jolla 9-18

Made it out to La Jolla about 0700 hours. Much later than normal, but sleep was needed. Couldn't catch suid for the first time all year. Luckily i brought a handfull of dead ones caught last week. After about 30 minutes of no bait i drop a dead suirt down. Before it hits the bottom i feel rapid hits, DAMN, i freaken hait cudas! Reel up and discover there is no head. Pin another on and drop her down again.

Feel a few more hits, i'm thinking the head is gone after about 5 minutes, but leave it down while i jig for squid. Then a buddy says hey, "somethings hitting your pole pretty hard." I say, "My clicker isn't sounding, so it must be small."

I figure i wouldn't peddle 10-15 yards away to hopefully free my bait up and then BAM. My Torium-16 starts ringing. OH YEAH!

The fight is on. First it goes left, then right, then straight out into the open ocean. I realize why. It heads straight for an anchored skiff. The anchored guy asks, should i pull up?" I say NO. Dumb!

The fish get wrapped in the anchor line. Luckily this dude was cool. I forget his name, but he have gave me countless tips. He actually advised me to tie the dropper the way i did to hook this fish. So anchor dude walks me through how not to lose this fish.

Five minutes later i'm free. Hoping the fish is still on i start cranking. Nothing... nothing... then BAM!!! The fight is back on. About ten minutes later at about 0800 hours i see my FIRST on the end of my line.

Oh YEAH!!!

Here's my prize. All 67 LBS, According to my bathroom scale...

Name:  matt erase 2.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  matt erase.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  57.9 KB

This is my first year of hitting La Jolla hard and only know what i do from asking questions to fellow yakkers on the water. Thanks for all the advice and tips. Luck goes a long way as well. A few yellows and now this have made me a happy man! Tight Lines...
Sdmatt is offline   Reply With Quote