View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

I'm thinking about getting a slingshot but I'm not completely sure it would do anything other than piss him off. Might try from a boat, not sure from the yak.
I would think that any "less than lethal" option poses a risk of pissing him off, rather than driving him away. There just aren't many options on a kayak if they decide to go after you. I don't think I'd want to risk using a sling shot. Unless you hit them on the jaw or in an eye it probably won't hurt them that much and those are the areas that you aren't supposed to injure. I think that the best deterrent would be pepper spray. Injuring a sea lion might prompt it to attack. Pepper spray would cause irritation and interfere with its breathing. It would then be less likely to come after you (disclaimer: not a marine mammal behavior expert....just a gut feeling). I bet it would only take getting sprayed once or twice and a sea lion would start avoiding kayaks. There would also be less chance of negative publicity; no noise, no lasting injury, nobody getting shot accidentally with a sling shot.
I think I'm going to go buy some OC spray. If Knothead mauls me on Saturday, disregard everything that I posted here