View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehburninator View Post
good idea indeed. here are the logistics im still sorting out right now.

1.) trolling motor will require a good sized marine deep cycle battery perferably mounted solid somewhere
2.) trolling motor outfit will run most likely anywhere from 50-75lb?
3.) limited amount of run time off battery charge and also the possibility of an unstable battery not keeping charge.
4.) trimmer motor is fairly inexpensive even new, depending on what i get
5.) trimmer will already have shaft, all i need to do is attach a prop (think canoes in third world countries with motor driven canoes
6.) if i bring enough gas, i can go where ever i please and get back in with my arms still attached
7.) extra weight shouldnt be an issue if i choose to fill the yak with spray foam

so as of right now i'm leaning towards the trimmer motor, my only concern right now is the ability to handle salt water.
There is certainly alot going on in the post above.

First, what you just described is a boat. Not a very good boat, but it is a boat. Plenty of aluminum skiffs for sale right now for under $1,000. I'd lean more toward one of those for what you are trying to accomplish.

Some things to think about.

Carbon Monoxide?
Gas on the Kayak?
Every little thing that can corrode on a kayak will. My weed wacker is finniky without ever seeing the ocean.
Adding floatation foam will do nothing except add extra weight to the yak. Might help you if you sink though?

I would guess that most people that kayak here do it for the simplicity of it, plus a few other inherent reasons, maybe even the exercise. None of those reasons involves strapping a weed wacker to the yak.

Please post some pics if you do try it though
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote