View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Rufus

In the 60s and 70s we used to water ski in the widbreak provided by the aircraft carriers on North Island. I mean we were right under those suckers! And I used to routinely swap tips and jigs in my skiff with navy guys working on the sub drydock at Ballast Point But unfortunately times have changed since 9-11.

How many of you guys remember the USMC LAVs on North Island with their 25mms pointed at those of us fishing close to shore right after 9-11?

My rule of thumb in SD Bay is to fish anywhere there is access and apologize and move on if confronted by Navy security or HPD.

The security guys are a little anal about enforcement west of the bait barge. One time this summer one of the RIBs told me I coldn't fish BETWEEEN the Everingham barges, that I had to be "transienting" the area. Right.

He jetted off after I gave my PA a few kicks.

Understand the mission the military and HPD are charged with, smile, cooperate when asked to move, but don't be scared to fish just about anywhere in the harbor. And never fight back with your mouth. All they want to hear is "No problem, I'll move along."

I pretty routinely toss jigs under The UCSD pier, the old NOSC pier (in plain view of the cameras), the rocky point off the ASW School on Harbor Drive, the ammo pier on North Island and the concrete pilings near the NI helo hangers. All forbidden areas.

But if I see the RIB 'a coming, I start kicking slowly so they think I'm "transiting" the area.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote