View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrbite View Post
Never fished before but want to get into this sport and the only kayaking I've really done is on an inflatable one.

I'm looking for a pretty stable kayak, probably 31"+. Also would like the kayak to have flush mount rod holders and hatches. I also want to do lobster hooping, so a wider kayak would be helpful.

My price range is around the 400, 500 mark. Thanks.
As been noted here time and again, test paddle some to get a sense of how each one feels. Also you'll get a sense of how much harder a wider yak is to paddle.
Just because it's wide doesn't guarantee stability. Keel form and gunnel design have more to do with primary stability. Call OEX in SD to see what they have available to test paddle.
I also was concerned about stability when I bought my first yak but I found the wider ones MUCH harder to paddle due to their width.
In the 12' x 31" range I tried the Cobra F & D, and the OK Big Game, but (for me)I found I liked the Malibu Pro Explorer (12' x 31" wide) easier to paddle. But to each his/her own.
Just my .02.
Jimmy is right though, have read the OK Trident is very stabile despite it's narrow width. Would have been my next yak if I hadn't badly injured my back.
FFY.

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 11-30-2012 at 05:32 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote