View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
JeffB

Spectra and are the same thing, no difference. I personally like to throw 65lb braid with a 25lb-50lb leader of floro. All depends on how clear the water is on how light of a leader and the length of my leaders. Clear water days I go with a 8'-12' of 30lb floro. Murky water day I go with a 4'-5' leader 40lb-50lb. This is what I use when throwing a dropper loop or yoyo'n' a jig. As for my surface iron I prefer straight mono, 30lb. The reasoning for it is that I get a nice clean throw through my guides and went I set the hook the line gives(stretches). I like a bit stiffer rod so that I can launch it and it allows me not to rip the bait out of the fishes mouth. As far as fly line, I just use braid with about a 20'-25' floro leader. I'm new to fly lining, so not sure what is exactly preferred.

This is what I like to do, and not what you have to do. I know that there will probably be more people reply and disagree with some of what I do. Good luck to you. Best thing about braid is that you can load 1.5x the line on your reel and if you get into kelp, it will cut it.

Another thing, mono floats and that's another reason I use it for surface baits. Braid and floro both sink down nicely.