View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Awesome Day in Newport

Went out of newport today in the hunt for red snapper, and boy did I find them. Launched at around 745, water was super glassy plus the air temp was approaching mid 60s. It was already turning out to be a great day just because of the awesome weather. Paddled out to my first spot, dropped down bait at around 815 for nada. Paddled a little deeper for only a small rockfish. Just kinda floated around a bit looking for schools on my ff, and at this one spot I noticed a little bit something on the ff. Dropped down, only got another small rockfish, but now I just let it sit down there as I pulled out my other setup which was loaded up with 50# braid. I dropped down some squid with that setup, right as I hit the bottom, BAM!, I hook up. I pull up a quality red. Drop down again and I get another good red. For 20 min at this one spot, every drop I was getting good reds. Then I drifted off of it, so that was the end of that. Couldn't really find that honey hole again, so I called it a day at around 11. Kept 6 reds and a chucklehead. The crowd was basically nonexistent out there. It was me, another kayaker who left at around 10 whom I didnt see get anything, and there was a private boater who stayed a little longer than myself. Enjoy the pictures. Good luck and it looks like I'm having plenty of tacos tonight.

Tight lines everyone.
Attached Images