View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
TJones

just a thought

i purchased similar model in hummingbird version . i went through different methods of installs . the first install was using the mad frog arm which is a similar idea to the ram mount shown . it is constructed of a rigid plastic arm that rides on a bolt the acts like a hinge . there were a few drawbacks . grass or weeds could collect on it and also it does create some drag pushing through water . so i tried in hull, wet, and dry mount which obviously is not good because the transducer definitely needs to be in water to get your down imaging and or side imaging . so next i decided to get the transducer back in water . i wound up mounting the transducer right underneath the seat drain scupper hole with the wire pulled through the hole . i purchased the hobie kit for capping wires and quickly ran the wire back inside the kayak so very little wire is exposed on the deck or outside the kayak . the mounting tabs on the transducer were removed as cleanly as possible with a saw and filled smooth .and the transducer can be held in place with some silicon or the plumbers putty that does not dry .the transducer is not completely recessed but dragging it on sand will not hurt it . the humming bird transducer is a little bit bigger than an altoids mint tin . not small by any means . overall i am happy with the install. when loading in the back of pickup you have to be careful not to slam the transducer .i place a towel underneath as cushion or precaution . i am not sure how big your units transducer is or if this will work for you. the outback does have deep channels so your transducer may not be exposed very much if at all . hope this idea helps . i can send pics if needed for illustration.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote