View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
tacklebox
I got gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
Nice rack...
Did you consider making the forward support taller and going over the cab to reduce your overhang (Kayak at an angle)? Also, can you go over how you load the kayak onto the rack? I am guessing you prop it onto the rear support then climb in the bed and load it the rest of the way. I am asking because I am interested in a similar rack for a short bed pickup with a tonneau cover. My idea would be to use a similar rear support and use a yakima/thule bar either on top of the cab or directly on the tonneau cover. I was worried if I put it on the cab when sliding the kayak up it would be a PIA because it would want to pivot over before the tip reached the cab (12 ft kayak)

I have the option to raise the front support if needed (longer kayak in the future) but for now it only overhangs about 3 feet Im guessing from the back. I like the look of it when its level and also the less wind resistance the better.
The way I load it is I put the kayak on the kayak cart, load the front of the kayak in the bad, take the cart off, tilt from the back to get it in the front holder and then lift the back in to the back rack with an overhead lift. Im not sure if this specific rack will work for your application since the kayak is tapered and will wedge itself in the angle of the rack.
I dont reccomend the over the cab since you will be getting a lot of wind resistance plus overhead stuff might hit but if that is your only option, and you dont mind drilling or welding to your cab, then do it! lol
It is going to take a lot of downward force to get it in the front rack via loading from the back rack, like you said.