View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Big Wave Dave

I've got to tell you about my first surf launch. I had a rented scupper pro and tried to go out from Pescado Beach in OB. I filipped over at least four times trying to get out. A girl brought out a lawn chair from her apartment to watch. She was laughing hysterically. Each time I flipped, I was washed into the rocks and had to put my gear back in place. I had a milk crate bungied to the back with rod holders on it. Finally got out and spent the day fishing.
Coming back in, I noticed that the surf had really picked up. I pulled up outside the break and there were a bunch of surfers there looking at me like I was crazy. They were telling me I'd never make it. I watched the sets for awhile and made a break for it. I made it in paddling for all I was worth and a wave pushed me right up onto the beach. This guy there was amazed and asked if I was a professional. I told him he should have seen me heading out. He was so impressed he helped me carry the yak to my car. Never tried to launch there again.
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote