Thread: La Jolla 7-18
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
lamb

I’m sure you will Tim, it’s just the matter of time.

Really, those few feet from below your kayak to the “destination lap” spot is the most challenging part with them.

I put a lot of thought into making sure I’m ready before I landed my first halibut on the kayak. Lot of it was following the tips from folks that have put more than a few brown flats through their hands... I’ve been following that routine ever since, and have not yet lost the one I brought to color.

Here’s the “halibut at color” checklist I follow - I hope some may find it handy:
  • Make sure your drag is not tight. If the things go wrong, you want to make sure they can have a smooth and controlled run if/when they freak out… Ask Moyer if you don’t believe me.
  • Have your game clip ready – open and secured to your kayak with a rope, ready to be deployed.
  • Don’t panic when you see them below! Keep control, keep the line tight with no slack…
  • Don’t get their head out of the water – let them hang and linger by the boat. They’re usually pretty calm. If they decide to make another run down, let them.
  • Take your time and identify their lower jaw. Their belly is right below their head on that side.
  • Gaff ‘em though the belly. It’s their softest spot yet strong enough to be lifted on board by your gaff. More importantly, in my experience, 9 out of 10 times they won’t freak out when you gaff them thought the belly. They stay calm… like a lamb. It almost stuns them. Attempting to gaff them though the thick meat on their shoulder is very likely to cause them to start thrashing. On a bigger halibut, it is likely you won’t run a gaff though them – they’ll freak out and probably yank your gaff out of your hand (been there). Don’t gaff them in the head – it is their most boney part. It is hard to pierce though, your head gaff attempt is likely to be followed by a freak out…
  • As you run the gaff through the belly, keep the fish in the water, don’t lift her up… Reach for your game clip and run it through the gills.
  • Secure it. The game is over, destination dinner table is almost certain now.
  • Unlock your spool. The fish is on a leash, all is good. It may save your rod.
  • At that point, I cut their gills to bleed them. Some people smack them over their head; that works too, but I haven’t been doing it. You ought to do something, as they may stay alive for a while…
  • Be ready for a post mortem freak out - they frequently do that. Move and secure your reels and anything else they may kick in the water if/when they start flopping on your deck.
  • I’ll leave it up to you to choose to turn them so you have their toothy jaw between your legs or their mighty tail while you’re paddling back… I hate this part.
The only other part with halibut that I find to be ugly – keep an eye on Anisakis Simplex when you’re filleting them… A small worms in their guts/belly that can also be found in lil’ pockets of their meat in the belly area, especially on their bottom part (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis ). I find them almost as often as not - sometimes you need to look harder. To be on a safe side, I generously cut out and throw away the fillet in the belly area.

I tried and I know it's good, but I don't eat raw halibut. No thanks.